We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Large family group Cape Town accomodation recommendations

northern NJ
Level Contributor
181 posts
166 reviews
Save Topic
Large family group Cape Town accomodation recommendations

We are a group of 6 adults and 6 kids who will be in Capetown for 5 night next July. Any recommendations on a good place to stay? We could do a self catering apartment or a hotel that has two double beds in each room.

Thanks.

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Large family group Cape Town accomodation recommendations

Hi, to get you started, here is a good website:

http://www.capestay.co.za/

What were you hoping to do while here? Then I could suggest areas to look at. Obviously the close to the city centre/waterfront, the more expensive.

Will you be hiring a car?

Another good site with map:http://www.wheretostay.co.za/wc/cm/self-catering-apartment.php

London
Level Contributor
17 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Large family group Cape Town accomodation recommendations

Firstly, you need to know that this will be in the middle of winter in Cape Town, so your choice of area to stay in will greatly affect the enjoyment of your trip.

As the local expert has pointed out, rent some wheels. You'll need them ;)

I agree with the comments about cost, the nearer the Waterfront and Atlantic seaboard, the more expensive. However, several hotels can do excellent deals on suites for 4 or more, so shop around, and it does not hurt calling an hotel directly for a deal, as this time of the year is low season and therefore good for bagains :)

GPS is now available in South Africa so get one fitted to your car, as poor weather in CT can lead to poor visibility.

There are many B&B's in the greater Cape Town area, many rated by the SA tourism authority. 5 star B&B's are all around as well, whilst many 4-stars are the same quality, but may just not have their bathrooms ensuite or 24-hour room service, and so on. Shop around, the local expert gave a couple of good sites, so it should leave you with lots of options. Just remember, negotiate, its low season :)

northern NJ
Level Contributor
181 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Large family group Cape Town accomodation recommendations

The two places I have found that look promising are Romney Park Suites at the corner of Hill and Romney road in Grrenpoint, and the other is a hotel in Bantry Bay, Les Cascades de Bantry Bay. Both are priced similarly, the Romney is much larger, two bedrooms and abnths per suite, and Les Cascades will put beds for 4 in one large room.

Anyone familar with these two and which one would you recommend?

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Large family group Cape Town accomodation recommendations

Hello again, there doesn't seem to be review on it, but I found a discussion here:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g312659-i9466-k440…

It is worth noting the number of posts various people commenting on the place have, because sometimes people have a grudge or something and then try to post as someone different, so read some comments with a bit of a pinch of salt.

Worth noting is that Bantry Bay is beautiful, but does not have restaurants, you would need to drive if you wanted to go out to eat, I don't see this as such a bad thing, but worth knowing.

Sea Point gets mixed reviews here, I think it depends on what you are expecting, it is a cosmopolitan/mediterranean sort of place, I like it, but would not really wander around alone there at night, but I wouldn't wander anywhere alone at night unless forced to, I am often in Sea Point for various things and I like it, but it can be a little bit "inner-city" like sometimes.

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Large family group Cape Town accomodation recommendations

There is an organisation in Cape Town that checks and grades

accommodation; the standards are high as all properties have to comply with certain criteria. It is called Portfolio Collection and can be accessed at www.portfoliocollection.com. You can then see rates, photos and descriptions of the various places and even book online. There is also a section: "Children Welcome". My personal experience is that is always nice to have at least a kitchenette so that refreshments are available. I would recommend that you find self-catering in the vicinity of the Waterfront.

UK Reservation Office:info@africacollection.com. Tel. 44 1 403 256 655.

USA Distribution: johnafrica@mac.com. Tel. +1 404 202 9340.

Ireland, Germany, Netherlands, Switzerland: Freephone 0080025665555.

Enjoy your stay in our lovely City.

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Large family group Cape Town accomodation recommendations

Hi AKR1,

It might be also be worth your while to check Waterfront Village at

www.waterfront.co.za where you can rent a three-bedroomed apartment (6 persons) for around ZAR 2400 (NOT per person) per night (July).

You can possibly search (Google) for better off-season rates at same venue.

I love deals.

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Large family group Cape Town accomodation recommendations

Apologies, AKR1, the website at Waterfront Village should read:

www.waterfrontvillage.info. Unfortunately I was unable to edit the mistake.

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Large family group Cape Town accomodation recommendations

It can be so frustrating not being able to edit!

Do you know anyone that has stayed at Waterfront Village, there were questions on it on the forum a short while ago and I could find no reviews, it is in such a lovely location, I'd love to know more about it.

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Large family group Cape Town accomodation recommendations

There was a review by WatfordTraveller dated Feb. 17, 2006:

"Just spent a week in a fully serviced apartment at the Waterfront Village. Great location, walking distance to bars and restaurants at the Waterfront. Designer style apartment, high quality furnishings..."

I checked these apartments out about a year ago. They are individually owned and managed by Village and Life, a reputable company. Agree that the furnishings are first-class/luxurious and there is airconditioning, which is important in summer. I preferred those on a higher floor, as the view was better. Those on the ground-floor face the canal and can be noisy (passers by). Equipment is standardised (dishwashers, television etc.) but, all in all, I think these "condominiums" compare favourably with a five-star hotel.

Sydney
Level Contributor
30 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Large family group Cape Town accomodation recommendations

I would recommend the Bayview Mountain Cottages at Hout Bay which would accommodate you, with spectacular views and first class accom.You will need a car.

Get answers to your questions about Cape Town Central