We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any experience with Western Cape Action Tours (WECAT)?

Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Topic
Any experience with Western Cape Action Tours (WECAT)?

Dear Advisors,

I'm planning on exploring the townships of Cape Town and am considering excursions operated by Western Cape Action Tours (WECAT). It is a non-profit organization run by former soldiers of Umkhonto We Sizwe, or MK, the armed wing of the African National Congress (ANC), who fought against the old apartheid regime of South Africa. If anyone has experienced one of their memory tours, I���d like to get your feedback.

Thank you,

ATreeGrowsinBrooklyn

Germany
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Any experience with Western Cape Action Tours (WECAT)?

Hello ATreeGrowsinBrooklyn! :)

I did the WECAT township excursion already twice (in 2001 and in 2004). The tour takes a couple of hours and has several stops in different townships. The tours I took were differently with respect to the stops we made. So, the tour seems to be updated constantly. Every tour is carried out by several WECAT members and the tour guides give a genuine account of the history of the city as well as of their own history. The atmosphere on the tour bus was very open and friendly. Moreover their prices for the tours were very fair.

I recommend them!

Anni

Chicago
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Any experience with Western Cape Action Tours (WECAT)?

I will be traveling to Cape Town next month (Sep) and am considering taking a Western Cape Action Tour as well. How did your go - or anyone else that may have experience them? Thanks!

Hamburg
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Any experience with Western Cape Action Tours (WECAT)?

Dear ATreeGrowsinBrooklyn,

I��m planning on a Cape Town Tour by WECAT too. How did it go? How did you make reservations?

Would be very nice to get your feedback.

Thank you,

bee

Hamburg
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Any experience with Western Cape Action Tours (WECAT)?

Dear Advisors,

does anyone know how to reach WECAT? Number and email-adress is not working any more...would be great if anyone can who recently booked a tour can reply to my request.

Thank you,

Bee_51