We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bali bay in Camps bay reviews?

London, United...
Level Contributor
84 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Bali bay in Camps bay reviews?

Hi there, ive booked up the studio apartment at Bali Bay Luxury apartments for December months ago, and ive just read a review by someone who has recently stayed there, and it doesnt sound too good. Has anyone else stayed in the studio and did you have a bad experience too. Im in two minds about cancelling my booking, even though i would lose my deposit, but im not sure i would find another suitable place for the same price at such short notice.

If you havent stayed there before, can anyone please suggest somewhere cheap and cheerful in Camps Bay or surrounding areas that i might be able to get a booking with for the period 27th Dec to 3rd Jan???

Mentioned in this post
Camps Bay
Camps Bay
Cape Town, South Africa
Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bali bay in Camps bay reviews?

Hello again Ollie, I presume the review you read was by Lito? I've searched and can only find the review he wrote, I do agree it doesn't sound wonderful, but also not too dreadful.

Be sure you have a confirmed booking somewhere else if you decide to change, December/Jan is our peak season and accomodation is quite hard to come by, especially somewhere like Camps Bay.

I do wish our Cape Town forum was a bit more lively regarding reviews! I can't help in any other way as I've never stayed there.

Good Luck.

Mentioned in this post
Camps Bay
Camps Bay
Cape Town, South Africa
Cape Town
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
180 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bali bay in Camps bay reviews?

Hi again,

I read the reply you posted on the Paris thread so I thought I'd reply to you here so its relevant to anyone else reading. If it is cheap and cheerful you are looking for then that is what you will get there. I was dissapointed because it was sold as a 'luxury studio'. From what you are expecting I thnk you will be pleasantly surprised. As I said in the review, it is a great location, has a great view and is run by a very nice lady. If you just want a crash pad then I'm sure you will find it fine. Just dont expect too much. As with all of these reviews it is very subjective and you can only try and be fair and honest which is what I did hopefully. Maybe email Bev and suggest they may need to look at giving the place a lick of paint and new bed linen etc?

If you dont 'have' to be at Camps Bay, we also stayed at 18 on Crox and that experience was wonderful. The hosts are amazing and the guest house is luxurious and very classy - at a reasonable price and good location.

I'm sure you will have a great time whatever you decide, we did!

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Camps Bay
Camps Bay
Cape Town, South Africa
Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bali bay in Camps bay reviews?

Hey Lito, glad you responded to Ollie, it's so much nicer when you've actually been to a place. Thanks.

London, United...
Level Contributor
84 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bali bay in Camps bay reviews?

Hi Lito and Technobabe, thanks for responding once again. I agree that cancelling my booking now would be a nightmare because most places were already booked up when I enquired back in April. Like u Lito, i was also expecting it to be a luxury studio but to be honest for the price i got it i think i can put up with the things u said. The only thing that put me off was the fact that u said there was a funny smell, i can put up with most things but not funny -smelling lodgings.

But on that note, im going to Cape Town to enjoy all the other things which u said were a bonus, the close location to the sea, the sights and being close to all the bars and restuarants. I just need the room to dump my bags and get some kip. And the manager Bev does seem like a nice person so i think i will stay there.

Thanks anyway for the feedback and i agree Technobabe, it would be nice if people did write more reviews that way you could compare responses. I will make sure that once i get back i will write a review of my experience too.

Cape Town here i come!!!!

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
180 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bali bay in Camps bay reviews?

Hi Ollie27, with regards to the smell, it is strange but not something that would have made you leave if that helps! Plus the weather will be so much better when you are there, it wont be damp which may have added to our experience in September. Happy holiday!

London, United...
Level Contributor
84 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bali bay in Camps bay reviews?

Thanks Lito, i might just email Bev and raise the concerns which yo have mentioned. I hope she doesnt get offended by my suggestion to revamp the place, but hopefully she will take it on board and make a few changes.

Thanks again, take care!

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bali bay in Camps bay reviews?

Have a great stay!

8. Re: Bali bay in Camps bay reviews?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, August 20, 2009