We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cape Town Restaurants

Essex
3 posts
Save Topic
Cape Town Restaurants

Hi.

My husband and I, along with my parents are visiting Cape Town in February and I will be celebrating my 30th birthday there.

I am looking for a really beautiful, special restuarant to spend my birthday in - budget is not a consideration. The type of food would be as my dad is very fussy and is very much a 'meat and potatoes' type of man, which would really mean having to steer clear of any asian cuisine.

Could anyone give me any special restaurant suggestions as I am having difficulty finding any reviews on the internet?

Thanks

Sarah

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,322 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cape Town Restaurants

SallyKate

Can't help with a specific restaurant suggestion (we ate in some nice places but weren't really looking for extra special) but you might find this link a help.

http://www.dining-out.co.za/

if you haven't already found it.

London, United...
Level Contributor
409 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cape Town Restaurants

How about Mama Africa? It has a gread atmosphere with a live band playing African music.

You can also have a look at the Inside Pages for Cape Town as there are some restruant recommendations as well.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
178 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cape Town Restaurants

Hi Sarah,

If your dad likes plainer food but you want somehwere nice, try OYO at the V&A hotel, V&A waterfront. Its a nice location and the hotel is very stylish and modern with a lovely cocktail bar. We ate there during a recent holiday and it was superb. There are plain steak options but they have some other more inventive dishes as well.

Email them directly and they will send you a link to view the menu.

Hope this helps.

Palma de Mallorca...
Level Contributor
381 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cape Town Restaurants

Cape Town has more than its fair share of quality restaurants, and arguably the best restaurant in town is Ginja. The food here is simply outstanding.

Another restaurant that I can recommend is Five Flies. Again the food is outstanding along with first class service from friendly and knowledgeable staff.

For something quiet, traditional and a fine example of warm South African hospitality, then try Millers Thumb in Tamboerskloof.

You can find information on all 3 restaurants by visiting http://www.dining-out.co.za

NHA
Cape Town
Level Contributor
117 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cape Town Restaurants

I agree with the previous recommendation on Ginja. The food is outstanding, beautifully presented, consistant quality, great service. You will have to book this one in advance. The only downside of Ginja is that it could be a bit loud as the space is quite small and the tables are quite close together.

Another place I would highly recommend is Tokara restaurant and winery between Stellenbosch and Franschoek. The food is on par with Ginja, and your Dad will be happy with their meat selection, but what really distinguishes this place is the beautiful wooden deck overlooking the valley. It will work best for lunch as opposed to dinner. You can see the pictures on www. tokara.co.za.

Another outstanding Cape Town restaurant is La Colombe in Constantia. You can see the details on their website uitsig.co.za/constantia_uitsig/lacolombe.htm…

Please feel free to ask about any other restaurants you might be considering.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
18 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cape Town Restaurants

A Meat and Potatoes Man? Okay... If the location is important then I would agree with the above choices- Particularly Constantia Utsig during the day!! Try the Springbok ! Otherwise if meat quality is more important then I would choose a smaller South African Steak house such as the Butchers Grill in Hout Bay (meat can be selected and cooked to order) & Busby Grill in Seapoint . There are plenty of others too.

My Top award would go (But you will clean out your wallet in the Process) to Bosmans resturant In Paarl. That is something very special indeed.

London, United...
Level Contributor
246 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cape Town Restaurants

If your Dad likes Steak then is MUST be Belthazar's at the V&A Waterfront. They've won numerous awards for their steaks - and they do things differently too - for example how about Chocolate sause on your steak - no everyones cuppa, but ahem, 'different'!

Enjoy!!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
246 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cape Town Restaurants

Or is it Balducci's - I think they are owned by the same people and next to each other...I forget...anyone know the right one???

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cape Town Restaurants

I second Five Flies, but if you feel like including a bit of a drive and checking out Durbanville, there are three outstanding restuarants in the area, no 1 goes to Bloemendal restaurant because of the absolutely amazing view:http://www.restaurants.co.za/details.asp?resId=3373

then Poplars, I really love their food and then also Avocado restaurant, lovely food.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
338 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cape Town Restaurants

I would second the Five Flies - have only heard wonderful things about it!

I wouldn't recommend Mama Africa, I thought it was touristy and food was simply average.

Emily's at the waterfront is superb, but watch out if you tip as they used to take 50% of the staffs tips from them (not sure if they still do).

The Black Marlin is another amazing restaurant. I held a celebration meal here as the settting, food and service was just amazing.

Famous Butchers Grill is a must if you like meat!

Quay Four on the waterfront is excellent. Zero932 is also great, had a birthday dinner here and was very impressed.

Just in case you weren't confused enough!! Hope this helps!