We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dress code for women aboard the Rovos rail cruises

Pevensey, United...
Level Contributor
89 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Dress code for women aboard the Rovos rail cruises

Is dress for the evening meal similar to ladies dress code for a cruise ship? Dresses look expensive in the web page photographs........

Wayzata, Minnesota
Level Contributor
2,929 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dress code for women aboard the Rovos rail cruises

My wife wore the same cocktail dress to dinner both nights when we were on Rovos. I took her for her 35th birthday in 2008. The ones on the website are a bit more fancy looking than what you see on the train itself. I have sailed on Silverseas and Regent. The types of dresses you wear on formal nights on those cruises would be fine.

Craig Beal - owner - Travel Beyond

Pevensey, United...
Level Contributor
89 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dress code for women aboard the Rovos rail cruises

Many thanks this is helpful advice.

I believe our train cruise is for several nights. Packing or organising the weight for a 13 day visit was causing concern . The cruise items will be perused for weight, travel and suitability. Thank you

Wayzata, Minnesota
Level Contributor
2,929 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dress code for women aboard the Rovos rail cruises

There is very cheap luggage storage in Jo'burg and many ground operators will store luggage for you for free if you have booked your safari that way. You may have a chance to store the "formal" clothing and collect them in time for the train.

Craig

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dress code for women aboard the Rovos rail cruises

Just returned from a trip to Africa including Rovos Rail. Re the dress code. Yes, they do ask for smart casual throughout the day and "cocktail" for evening with men in jacket and tie. However, they are also mindful that this is a two night journey in what may be a small part of a longer trip that could include small planes and luggage allowance of only 15 kg. On our trip the men did wear jacket and tie. Some were in suits but others in sports jackets, slacks and ties. Noone was in formal attire. Most women wore nice slacks and tops and dressed it up with a bit of jewellery and pashmina(it was cold - yes, even in the dining car). Daytime was very casual. Most wore jeans and because it was cold had on hoodies or jackets. In fact, there are slippers in each sleeping compartment and a good number of guests wore those on the train during the day. So, no, the ladies were not as formal as on cruises but the men were the same.

Pevensey, United...
Level Contributor
89 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dress code for women aboard the Rovos rail cruises

hi we went this year for a 5 day trip that is why I was concerned about the code for 5 days. This was aggravated by the especially the confusing photos on the website. Our train passengers were quite formal in the evening , I plumped for mix and match items on a black/silver/white theme for three nights and oa blue theme for 2. , managing a 'differing' ensemble each evening. Daytime was more relaxed so my tops were a little too formal but the cotton flowery trousers were ok.

African nights can be very cold. Cloudless days followed by cloudless nights mean the heat dissipates into the atmosphere. A shawl can be of great benefit.

6. Re: Dress code for women aboard the Rovos rail cruises

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, September 04, 2016
Get answers to your questions about Cape Town Central