We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I go to South Africa in January

Reading/UK
Level Contributor
18 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Should I go to South Africa in January

I planned to go to South Africa mid Jan put not sure it's worth it if below is all true

1) cage dives with Great Whites are unlikely to see them

2) every where is busy - it appears schools are back by end of Jan and after Xmas thought may be quieter?

3) accommodation is hard to find as peak season?

I know no whales already but was hoping everything else would be good.

Only going in January as had good flight deal but maybe not worth it if not good for anything else.

Any advise

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should I go to South Africa in January

January is an excellent time to go to CPT, although it can get hot, but most days are pleasant and warm, plus the south easterly wind is in my experience not as bad in Jan as in Feb. There is so much more to CPT than just sharks and whales so I won't plan mytrip just around those two plus I'm sure your chances of seeing great whites that time of year will still be good but maybe someone else knows better. And yes it is busy that time of year but quiets down quite a bit after the first week of January so availability should be ok.

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
14,741 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should I go to South Africa in January

We have been to CT in January and it is a great time of year to go IMHO. The weather is lovely. We have never really noticed it as being very busy despite it being high season. We always book hotels about a year in advance as they get booked up very quickly indeed and you might struggle now if you are looking at Jan 2015. You will not regret a holiday to CT. We love it and are going back for our 6th holiday there next Feb.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should I go to South Africa in January

Yes come its beautiful all year round and January is very warm.try guest houses they are very high standard and eating out very reasonable.

Gros Morne National...
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
1,664 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should I go to South Africa in January

We go in January and have always seen a lot of great whites.

Kruger National...
Level Contributor
1,942 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should I go to South Africa in January

I love CT all through Jan and Feb - Gorgeous weather, and such a buzz everywhere.

I would indeed book soon though to ensure you get accommodation in their busy season.

Warmest regards

Jacqui Sive

6. Re: Should I go to South Africa in January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:05 am, July 21, 2014
South Africa
Level Contributor
1,423 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should I go to South Africa in January

Mid JanuRy, is already not that bussy anymore. Aroind that time the schools are starting to start again.

8. Re: Should I go to South Africa in January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, July 24, 2015