We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Time along Garden Route and Cape Town

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Time along Garden Route and Cape Town

Hi All, I'd really appreciate your advice. I know you get a lot of similar questions but I want to ask myself.

We will have a total of 9 Days in Cape Town area in the month of September. We will be coming from Durban so my original plan was as follows:

2 nights, 3 days along the garden route to cape town from Port Elizabeth, then 5 nights in Cape Town, 1 night at a Winery and fly to JHB and then home.

I was mainly wondering if we would be too rushed to do the Garden Route in two nights and 3 full days?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Berkhamsted, United...
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Time along Garden Route and Cape Town

It would be very tight doing the Garden Route in such a short time. But it really depends what your interests are and what you are likely to stop for along the way.

One suggestion would be to drop your night in the Winelands and use it for the Garden Route, replacing it with a day trip to some vineyards once you're in Cape Town. Or you could use this extra night in Hermanus as you will be around when the whales are in and then take a diversion from Hermanus to Cape Town to visit some vineyards.

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Time along Garden Route and Cape Town

I agree with previous poster. Cut out night in Winelands and do a day trip there from Cape Town.

It takes about an hour from Cape Town Central to Stellenbosch and a little longer to Franschhoek.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Time along Garden Route and Cape Town

Thank you both for your suggestions. I am now thinking maybe just cut out the garden route and stay in cape town the whole town and do a couple of day trips from there. I just don't want to be rushed on this leg of the journey as I have heard cape town is amazing and you will want as much time there as possible.

Lincolnshire...
Level Contributor
76 posts
305 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Time along Garden Route and Cape Town

The Garden Route is pretty amazing, too. We spent about equal time (5 nites each) between there and Cape Town and if anything we wanted more time on the Garden Route. I agree with the suggestion of a night in Hermanus as the whale watching is pretty neat.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,397 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Time along Garden Route and Cape Town

Hi mplumb

I would recommend 3 nights 4 days on the Garden Route. Overnighting at Storms River, Knysna and Oudtshoorn. I would also spend a night in Hermanus for the whales, then on to Cape Town and Stellenbosch.

Port Elizabeth...
Level Contributor
231 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Time along Garden Route and Cape Town

I would stay at least a night in the winelands Franschoek is lovely and if you stay there you are in walking distance of many of the country’s best restaurants.

Akademie Street is lovely quite expensive but the accommodation is my favourite anywhere and it is often rated the best in Africa on TA.

Colin Owner of Eastcapetours.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
950 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Time along Garden Route and Cape Town

I don't recommend cutting out the Garden Route, it's gorgeous and well worth it.

Day 1 - drive from Port Elizabeth to Knysna, stopping along the way at various spots, especially Nature's Valley. Overnight in Knysna.

Day 2 - explore Knysna, Featherbed Reserve, overnight again in Knysna

Day 3 - drive to Oudtshoorn via George, ostrich farm, Cango Caves, overnight in Oudtshoorn

Day 4 - drive to Hermanus, overnight in Hermanus

Day 5 - drive to Cape Town via Clarence Drive and winelands, overnight Cape Town and spend the rest of the time visiting Cape Town.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Time along Garden Route and Cape Town

Hello: We're planning a trip to SA in Jan/Feb---coming from Canada. We'd be driving the Garden Route, starting in Durban. We prefer staying to coastal roads where possible..all the way to Cape Town.

Questions:

--- how safe a drive is this

--- how many nights on the drive should we allocate

--- we're black, is that an issue in terms of accommodation and, again, safety!

-- when we arrive in Cape Town, where is a good part of town to stay?

Thank you

Frankfurt, Germany
Destination Expert
for Garden Route
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Time along Garden Route and Cape Town

Hi Marylin,

Welcome to the forum. It's always good to start a new thread, if you have a new question. That way people will look at it, as opposed to joining an old conversation.

However, to your question, can't speak for the Durban - Port Elizabeth part, CT - PE is very safe and you should allocate 2 weeks for that part.

Your going in the hight of summer, so you won't be alone. Prices will be also higher.

Best idea is to to start a new thread, stating the time and budget you have in mind, as well as your interests.

P.S. in the "new" South Africa your race should play no role, but I am sure there is racism in SA as there is in Canada. Being Caucasian, and obviously in the minority in the RSA, I didn't feel it was much of an issue.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Time along Garden Route and Cape Town

Hello and thanks so much for your reply. I will re-post my question in a brand new thread and see if there are some other comments. But.....did you say 2 WEEKS . Oh my goodness: we've only got 3.5wks for the entire trip and we're trying to get to Vic Falls as well and a 2-3 day safari in there as well. Well, again, thank you for taking the time to respond.

Kindest

Get answers to your questions about Cape Town Central