We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

End of May Cape Town trip

1 post
Save Topic
End of May Cape Town trip

Hi all

I have just found out that I will be going to Cape Town for work at the end of May and am planning on extending my trip through the long weekend (in all I will be in town from Thurs am to Mon pm -- meetings scheduled for Friday means I won't be able to do anything that day). I'll be staying near the V&A Waterfront and will be on my own from Friday evening. This is my first trip to Cape Town so I was hoping to do the following itinerary -- thoughts on whether this is doable and/or suggestions on restaurants that would be good for solo dining appreciated. For the day trips I'm planning on hiring a car & driver.

Day trip to Franschoek to visit the vineyards

Day trip to Boulder Bay/Cape Point

Table Mountain -- possibly spending up to a half day hiking -- and/or Robben Island

Thanks!

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
4 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: End of May Cape Town trip

You could spend a day on the Hop on Hop off bus which departs from the Aquarium at the V&A. You will see more of our beautiful city and get some history. I would suggest taking the cable car to the top of table mountain rather than a hike. The mountain hikes by yourself is not recommended. Check the Cape Times on the Friday morning and join a local hiking club if you are keen to do a hike.

It is possible to do Robben island early morning, have lunch at the V&A and then go to Table Mountain in the afternoon. If its very windy, the cable car wont run, so check out their website or call them before you go. You can also purchase tickets online.

There are a great variety of restaurants at the V&A. From fast foods to fine cuisine. Enjoy and have fun. Cape Town is a great city!

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
902 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: End of May Cape Town trip

The 2 day trips could cost around R900,00 each.

A private Hire vehicle with Guide costs around R2100.00 per day... then you do a full day of Cape Point AND Winelands at your own pace

Table Mountain is best hiked along the top because of sporadic crime when hiking up or down the face of it

Robben Island you can book on your own and the tour lasts around 3,5hrs

6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: End of May Cape Town trip

I don't see why you can't hike solo. I'm a local and hike alone. No need to book those expensive tours unless you want to go to Cape Point as there really is no public transport out that way. They're crazy expensive, by the way. You can see plenty of Cape Town by using public transport, especially in the city centre, but also outside of the city centre.

There is a shared taxi from Pasrl station that goes to Franschhoek for R14. Best value ever as it drives up the R62, which is where you'll find all the Franschhoek vineyards.

4. Re: End of May Cape Town trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 09, 2015