We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A woman alone in Cape town for 2 days

Sherwood Park...
6 posts
Save Topic
A woman alone in Cape town for 2 days

I will be travelling to Cape Town in May and have 2 days to myself prior to a conference. I am travelling alone and this is my first time to Cape Town. I have been to Africa before Kenya and Tanzania. Wondering if anyone has suggestions for my free time!

Thanks

Avila Beach...
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A woman alone in Cape town for 2 days

Spend a day on the hop on/hop off bus. Easy way to see the city highlights, with many options (table mountain, vineyards, botanical gardens, city center, V & A, township, Camps Bay - to name a few)

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
5 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A woman alone in Cape town for 2 days

hi,

i was wondering if you are travelling for WTM. i am also a solo woman traveler in a similar situation and would be good to explore the city together. My travel dates are from the 27th April to 4th MAy. If you are interested please contact me through my company profile

Maputo, Mozambique
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A woman alone in Cape town for 2 days

I am also going to travel alone to Cape Town between 1 to 4 of May!I was wondering if you want to join me!Please contact me :)

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,962 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A woman alone in Cape town for 2 days

If you ladies will be based in the City Center, then there is nothing to worry about. The best way to get to know the City is via The Hop on Hop off Bus, www.citysightseeing.co.za . It starts in the Waterfront and runs through the City past Table Mountain and also Camps Bay and back to the Waterfront. The route referred is the red route. During the day you can easily walk around the City Center and at night for going to dinner, you can take a taxi and also back. Taxi's charge between R9 & R11 per kilometer and nowadays have fixed rates after a certain time in the evening which i believe is about 9pm.

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,646 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A woman alone in Cape town for 2 days

Apologies but I wouldn't say "nothing to worry about". Walk wisely, even during the day I felt uncomfortable and was harassed when alone in certain neighborhoods like Bo Kaap and even Company Gardens. I would take a cab when possible and really scope out your route and only walk during daylight hours. I'm just being realistic coming from a solo female traveler.

Without knowing your travel preferences, I definitely recommend table mountain, cape peninsula tour, hop on/off for main sights, wineries (Constantia is close), dinner on Kloof St, shopping at V&A waterfront, township tour and any museums/historical attractions that catch your interest. Cape Town is rather small and easy and inexpensive to get around. You will have a blast!

Edited: 6:06 pm, April 04, 2014
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: A woman alone in Cape town for 2 days

I'm a Capetonian currently in the Netherlands for an extended stay and I'm a bit homesick, which is why I'm on this forum :-).

I would recommend the Hop on Hop Off bus to Hout Bay on one day en the Waterfront and maybe Table Mountain on the other. The lines for the cable car up the mountain can get quite long, so it would be a good idea to get there really early.

The city center of Cape Town is quite safe to go solo as a woman during day time (I moved about alone in the CBD on a daily basis and have even travelled alone by minibus taxi for short distances there). I would not walk alone at night anywhere in South Africa. Please, just use common sense and don't flash your cash or your expensive belongings in public places.

You might also want to hire a car (it's rather cheap, even at the airport) and drive to the Stellenbosch Wine region for some wine tasting. It's a beautiful region and a lot of fun and many of the farms have very good restaurants that are also reasonably priced. Many of the farms close to wine-tasting at around 13:00 to 15:00 in the afternoon, because they are also very popular wedding venues this time of year. Just be careful - there are sometimes road blocks testing for drunk driving on weekend mornings in and around Stellenbosch due to all the wine-tasters!

Clifton Beach and Camps Bay is also always worth a visit, but parking is a nightmare, so rather take the HOHO bus.

I hope you enjoy your stay!

7. Re: A woman alone in Cape town for 2 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:05 pm, April 09, 2014
8. Re: A woman alone in Cape town for 2 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 11, 2015