We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Big 5

Naples, Florida
5 posts
Save Topic
Big 5

Want to do a Saffari, but only want to do for one day near cape town, and hopefully not spend alot of $..........any recommendations

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Big 5

Well to go for a real safari you have to go up North and not near Cape town. Sorry!

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,741 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Big 5

Yes, to see the Big 5, you will need 3 nights at Kruger National Park, preferably at a private game reserve.

Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
5,481 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Big 5

Yes and as Annemieke says, if it is a real safari it won't promise you the Big 5, because there are no guarantees unless on a smaller fenced private reserves. Even more so if they can show you Big 5 in one day!

BTW Big 5 is just an old hunting term, unfortunately over used now as a marketing ploy by many lodges. I hope whatever you decide you get to enjoy lots of non Big 5 creatures that are just as wonderful to see, such as cheetah, giraffe, hyena, zebras, hippos and so much more.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Big 5

Hi Tim, like mentioned above unfortunately all of the best safari destinations are in the North of the Country and some in the Eastern Cape. Depending on how much time you have in SA, I would really recommend you consider spending a few days on a proper safari. Even if that is impossible all of the 'game reserves' in the Western Cape is still a good 2 hours or more drive away. The best option in the Western Cape IMO would be Gondwana Game Reserve near Mosselbay. The other two would be Inverdoorn and Sanbona with last being quite pricey. Are you flying via Johannesburg maybe or doing the garden route or visiting Kwa-zulu natal?

For budget friendly options these are the best

1. Kruger National Park, South Africa's premier safari destination. Here you can self-drive and stay in one of the SANPARKS camps. From JHB airport the closest gate is just over 4 hours drive away. All the big camps in the park have restaurants should you not want to self cater. Berg-en-Dal, Lower Sabie and Satara.

2. Hluhluwe-Imfolozi in Kwa-zulu Natal, offers both self-catering and inclusive accommodation options. Bookings through KZN wildlife. Again a self-drive option, but as with Kruger it is possible to book guided game drives as well. Great to visit if you are also visiting St. Lucia

3. Addo Elephant park in the Eastern Cape, Close to Port Elizabeth. A good option if you are doing the garden route.

4. Pilanesberg Game reserve, which is approx. 2hours drive from JHB. A good option for a day visit if you are pushed for time.

The other options is a bit more pricey, but works on an all inclusive base, i.e all your meals, and game activities included in the price. I've found the lodges in Madikwe to be the most reasonable but I know that leopard sightings are not that frequent. The best option if your budget can stretch that far would be to spend 3 nights in a lodge in either the Sabi Sands, Timbavati or Klaserie reserves, which is all part of the Greater Kruger park. More budget friendly lodges include: Elephant plains, Simbavati river lodge, Gomo gomo and Africa on foot.

Mentioned in this post
Western Cape
Western Cape
South Africa
Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
5,961 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Big 5

As has been said above, you cannot do a proper "safari" in only one day, and not close to Cape Town.

The term "BIG 5" is an overworked term, and actually not PC, these days, as it was used by the "Great White Hunters" of yore, denoting the 5 most dangerous African animals to hunt, on foot.

We have a great variety of interesting and beautiful animals, and birds, and insects,and plants and trees, both great and small, which make a proper safari an experience of great wonderment!

Enjoy your visit

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa
TexasFNP
Level Contributor
139 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Big 5

I have a question. How many days/nights r adequate for a safari?? We r planning on going to lion sands area and can't decide on 4 or 5 nights. I know it will be awesome and we can't wait, BUT, there only only so many animals to see and I'm afraid we'll get tired. Any advice please???

Frankfurt, Germany
Destination Expert
for Garden Route
Level Contributor
2,240 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Big 5

Part of the fun on safaris is that you never know what you will see on any game drive. It could be a kill, a hippo doing bizarre poses or another just another browsing zebra.

4 nights will probably do - it really depends what a person you are. We can't get enough, but safari fatigue is nothing unheard of

TexasFNP
Level Contributor
139 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Big 5

thank you so much! I think we will stick to the 5 nights! That is how I feel about the ocean, I love diving and snorkeling and I can NEVER get enough of that so I understand what you are saying and I am afraid I will miss something! Any other info you can think of will be greatly appreciated as well. Have a wonderful day!

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,741 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Big 5

Texas, you should consider 2 nights self drive, and 3 night private game reserve. They are two different experiences at Kruger, and both very enjoyable.

We did 2 nights self drive, staying at two different camps (Olifants and Skukuza), and 3 nights at the Londolozi last summer. It was awesome, highly recommended.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
578 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Big 5

We were just in Sabi Sands in January and saw all of the major animals. It was incredible to have lions, leopards, wild dogs walking past the jeep totally ignoring us as if we didn't exist. The cheetah just kept munching on its catch. On one day we saw all of the Big 5 as they call it. Baby hyenas are cute, pity they aren't so cute as they grow up. We spent 3 days at the resort and were sad to go, as it was an exhilarating experience. Go and enjoy.