We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South Africa honeymoon

Montreal, Canada
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
South Africa honeymoon

Hi! My fiance and I are looking for information on a South Africa honeymoon in september 2014. We would like to split 2 weeks into 2 parts: 2-3 safaris and relaxing ina somewhat all inclusive hotel near the beach (if possible of course) . We dont want much travelling in between. Kruger park? And then? With a budget of 9-10k maximum. Thanks for any advice you may have! A simple yet adventurous honeymoon where we can feel the real culture yet relax and enjoy the calm.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: South Africa honeymoon

Ame

Kruger is a far distance from any beach, the closest beaches to there are in Mozambique. The nearest beaches in South Africa are in Kwa Zulua Natal province at the very least a day or more drive from Kruger ,depending on where in Kruger you are coming from. If you want beach and bush safari you will need to travel to achieve this. Are you planning to self drive for the 2 weeks or are you going to fly internally. More detail from you will elicit best advice from posters. Hence my questions.

Frankfurt, Germany
Destination Expert
for Garden Route
Level Contributor
2,070 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: South Africa honeymoon

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding! Just to start with - I propose a 2 centred vacation. Cape Town/Winelands and KwaZulu Natal for Safari and beach, spending a week in each. For safari you can for example go to Hluhluwe-Imfozoli (spelling is always tricky with this one) or to the private reserve of Phinda. The beaches north and south of Durban are very popular with locals.

I am sure you will get detailed assistance here, I am writing you, so that you have a start.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
139 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: South Africa honeymoon

Have a look at Northern KZN. There are lots of great safari options (Phinda, Hluluwe, Umfolozi) suiting a wide range of budgets. Then there are some lovely beach areas which are still quite wild - Rocktail Beach camp, Thonga, St Lucia area, Ponta Mamoli in southern Mozambique. Alternative would be to safari at Kruger, and then do a leisurely self drive (through Swaziland as an option) to northern KZN.

Good luck with the planning

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: South Africa honeymoon

I agree KZN is the place for bush and beach. Have a look at this link for The Oyster Box Hotel in Umhlanga on the coast near Durban has a stay for 4 pay for 3 nights special and this link they offer 2 nights at Thanda Private Reserve and 3 nights at the Oyster Box Hotel. oysterboxhotel.com/offers/inspiring-experien…

This is a bit of a splurge for luxury but it is your honeymoon, a treat is in order if affordable. If not, as the others have mentioned consider KZN coastal lodges and private reserves such as Phinda, Mkuze Falls, Thanda $$$ or the less costly Hluhluwe Umfolozi or Tembe elephant Reserve near the border of Swaziland. We have returned late September from our trip which included a stay at Tembe home to the largest tuskers in Africa and a stay in the self catering tented accommodation Mpila Camp at Umfolozi. Hluluwe offers catered accommodation at Hilltop camp. All this means some travelling however, but this destination offers adventure and culture and beach hotels.

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,795 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: South Africa honeymoon

Hello and there are great suggestions above and I will give my vote to KwaZulu Natal. September is spring and a lovely time to be in the province. At least take in some of the area and maybe mix it with the Cape? You could relax in the Drakensberg Mountains, take a safari with honeymoon suite or tent in one of the many excellent pvt big 5 reserves, and stay by the warm Indian Ocean.

Mark - Owner - SafariKZN

Montreal, Canada
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: South Africa honeymoon

Wow, you are all so generous with your answers and your time! We have never been to Africa so therefore this is definitely a long shot and we are starting from scratch. We have a decent budget and are simply looking for an affrodable safari and great accomodation. Looking for a hotel in the wildlife for safaris, then a close by second hotel with the beach and luxury. I will look into the proposed : 2 centred vacation. Cape Town/Winelands and KwaZulu Natal for Safari and beach, spending a week in each. We will not be renting a car. If you have any other websites I should look into, that would be fabulous!

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,795 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: South Africa honeymoon

Hello and would you consider driving? Just to mention a couple of places, Nambiti, Amakhosi, Mkuze Falls & Thanda for the safari and Thonga Beach Lodge for the beach. I also know the Oyster Box is a very popular honeymoon stop over.

Mark - Owner - SafariKZN

8. Re: South Africa honeymoon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:21 am, February 12, 2015