We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reporting crime

Irvine, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Reporting crime

I was unfortunate to have my handbag stolen while watching the Community Chest fun run in Cape Town in December. Careless I know! but in my defence there were no bank cards, cash or travel documents in it. We went to the police station the following morning, gave a statement detailing the theft and were give a stamped and dated docket. I had to contact them the following day to get a crime reference number which I did.

My insurance company have been less than helpful and is demanding a copy of the full police report. Should I have asked for a copy at the police station? If so, others be warned or your insurance will be worthless.

The incident happened near the end of a fabulous trip to Cape Town, Stellenbosch and Knysna.

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
3,858 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reporting crime

Sorry to hear about your loss.

Could have happened anywhere.

A friend of mine had her handbag stolen while in church in Rome!

South African insurance companies usually only require a case number.

Something to remember for other visitors from afar, is to ask for a copy of the full report

Irvine, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reporting crime

Thanks Gavin. I was annoyed at myself for letting it happen especially as I thought we were taking every precaution to avoid becoming victims.

Kent
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Reporting crime

I used to work in travel insurance claims like this, it is not unusual for the police to not issue a full report to the victim, in some countries. Tell the insurance claims people that you was not issued one, give report # & address details of the police station, for them to get the details direct. If they try to fob you off tell them to refer the case to the underwriters.

Irvine, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reporting crime

Thanks Braiiseason!

Have taken your advice and hope for a good outcome. The stock responses from the claims handling service have so many errors that you lose the will to live - but maybe that's the intention.

5. Re: Reporting crime

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 am, February 13, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Cape Town Central