We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 days along the Garden Route - advice?

Southern Ontario
9 posts
Save Topic
3 days along the Garden Route - advice?

My boyfriend and I are planning a trip for next month (August) from Cape Town to Port Elizabeth. We have 10 days in total, and we've decided that 5 days is the minimum we'd like to spend in Cape Town. This gives us a maximum of 3 full days to travel through the Garden Route before we end at the Addo Elephant part for 2 days.

I've always been keen to see the wineries around Stellenbosch/Franschoek, and I think Hermanus is a must-see as well due to the time of year. But does anyone have any other suggestions?

Not really looking to do anything adventurous this time, such as those canopy tours, abseiling, etc. I'm more desirous of having a pretty, relaxing holiday where I can see a different side of the country and practice my photography skills!

We will likely be taking the Baz Bus (but willing to rent a car at a destination, if necessary) so our options are:

Stellenbosch/Gordon's Bay, Hermanus/Bot River, Swellendam, Mossel Bay, Oudtshoorn, George, Wilderness, Knysna, Plettenberg Bay, Natures Valley, Storms River/Cape St.Francis, Jeffrey's Bay, and Port Elizabeth.

Thanks for your input!

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,289 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 days along the Garden Route - advice?

George, Wildernes, Knysna, Sedgefield are all close together.

Oudtshoorn is different from all the rest, because it is over the mountains in a semi-desrt area.

With only having 2 nights along the Garden Route, I would choose Storms River, or maybe Plett, as my last night. Cape St Francis and Jeffereys are a bit close to Port Elizabeth.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
21 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 days along the Garden Route - advice?

Burngirl,

You can see a lot in and around Cape Town in 5 days, including all wine land areas and Hermanus.

To optimize your 3 days why don't you travel to Oudtshoorn via Route 62 and get some amazing photo opportunities in the Little Karoo. The wide open spaces, clouds, and sun rise/sun sets are great! For a great overnight country lodge, 10km from Cango Caves try De Poort. You can visit the caves next morning and visit one of the Ostrich Farms

en route to George and Knysna for next overnight stop. Stop at the viewing sites at the top of the Outeniqua pass; Kaaimans River Bridge outside Wilderness.

I agree with Lamlee on overnight choice of Plett or Stormsriver (Mouth for great scenery & photos). Nature's Valley is also an excellent choice if time allows.

Lastly I will suggest that you rent a car if you want to practise your photography skills. Busses have schedules that interferes with art!

3. Re: 3 days along the Garden Route - advice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:19 pm, August 14, 2009