We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cape Town in April

Augusta, GA
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cape Town in April

My husband and I are planning on traveling to Cape Town for my 50th Birthday. We are planning on flying from Atlanta on 10 April and depart Cape town on 18 April. Wher should we stay? WE would like to go on a Safari while there as well as RObben Island. Any suggestinons on an itinerary?

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,242 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cape Town in April

Fly into Cape Town, spend 3-5 nights, fly to Nelspruit go on Safari 3-5 nights, fly to Johannesburg, fly to Atlanta

Edited: 9:53 am, January 24, 2014
Augusta, GA
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Cape Town in April

That's a lot of flying! That will be expensive, yes?

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
4,248 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cape Town in April

I believe there is Aquila, fairly close to Cape Town, a "Big 5" ( hate that term, ....it is actually a hunter's term, and we have many more very interesting animals than just those 5) game reserve of 7500 hectares ....about 18500 acres.

I do not personally know it, though.

However, if you want the "Rolls-Royce" of safari experiences, you should visit the Greater Kruger National Park area.

Here you have nearly 5 MILLION acres of wilderness/wildlife area!

Problem: KNP is not close to Cape Town!

Solution:

When you arrive in Johannesburg, from Atlanta on DL200, take a few days to visit the KNP area before you fly to Cape Town.

Whatever you decide, enjoy your visit.

Edited: 10:07 am, January 24, 2014
Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
4,248 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cape Town in April

I see Lamlee has the same idea as I did, only in reverse.

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
4,248 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cape Town in April

AS to the expense, the exchange rate is EXTREMELY favourable right now for those who have dollars, pounds or Euros!

It will still be favourable in April...... perhaps a little more so, or a little less so, but still favourable for you.

If you have dollars, South Africa is a comparatively cheap destination!

Augusta, GA
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Cape Town in April

OK, so I shoud fly into Johnesburg first, do a 2 day safari, then head to Cape town for Robbens Island. How much does a typical Safari cost? SHould I visit a township in Johnaesburg while there?

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
4,248 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cape Town in April

There is no such thing as a "typical Safari"

It all depends on the standard of the accommodation, service, and meals, you require.

There is a wide spectrum to choose from.

At the more expensive end of the spectrum, there are private lodges, which offer 'All in" experiences, including game drives, spa treatments, and all meals, and drinks.

At the other end of the spectrum, there is self drive, with self catering accommodation in the SANPARKS rest camps, in rondawels ( circular bungalows), or accommodation in permanent tents, and even camping in one's own caravan, or tent.

Accommodation to suit all pockets, in other words.

You will have to do a little research .

If you pass through Johannesburg, and have the time, then a visit to Soweto and / or, the Apartheid Museum is a must.

Augusta, GA
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Cape Town in April

Maybe we will just do two days in Johannesburg and spend the rest of the time in Cape Town. Seems to be a lot more in Capetown to see/do than Johannesburg. I definately will go to Soweto while in Johanesburg.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
452 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cape Town in April

Cape Town does have a lot to offer but it would be a pity if you visit South Africa without going into the bush to do some game viewing. A cheaper way of doing a safari is to go into one of the camps within the Kruger Park and then do the driving yourself and maybe book a morning or evening game drive on with a ranger.

Regards

Michelle

Seattle, Washington
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Cape Town in April

Seven days is not enough time to visit Cape Town and Joburg, let alone those two AND Kruger. Pick one of the cities, then try to find a reserve or national park close by to that park. Or you can fly between those two cities. But I agree with PP that it would be a shame to go all the way to Africa and not go on safari.

A word of advice from another American: you need to research this trip. We're planning a trip to SA and Namibia for this April, and we've been researching and planning for months. Safaris themselves are a whole world of travel (as PP have said). And the land area you're talking about is vast - I'm assuming you realize that Cape Town and Joburg are on opposite sides of the country, yes? If you do go to Joburg, you should take safety precautions seriously.