We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights to Cape Town From the UK

London
Level Contributor
247 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Flights to Cape Town From the UK

Hi there. I am planning to go to Cape Town, garden route etc next Christmas with my family as an amazing birthday celebration. We've been looking at flights to and from Cape Town and it seems that they aren't out yet for the return which is pretty frustrating. Has anyone got any advice whether it's best to go straight to Cape Town and back from there or as someone suggested perhaps back from Johannesberg? Also, any advice on airlines. We flew BA to Thailand recently and it was awful - would love to avoid but I think we may be forced to do so. Only have the two week Christmas holiday due to the kids school so I'm under pressure to make the most. Obviously, any advice re staying in Cape Town, Garden route and safari would be marvellous as I'm really feeling a bit ignorant about it all and feel a bit overwhelmed. My kids are 14 and 16 so well up for travelling around. Thank you!

UAE
Level Contributor
331 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Flights to Cape Town From the UK

Qatar Airways has flights that you can book now. They fly to Cape Town from various points in the UK via Doha. My mother had a great flight with Etihad Airways in October but they only fly to Johannesburg. She had a three night stopover in the Seychelles and the price was under £600.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
233 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Flights to Cape Town From the UK

Yes, as previously stated, only BA and Virgin fly directly from UK to Cape Town. But, that does not restrict you.

KLM fly in directly, they arrive around 23h00 so you'll need your hotel to arrange a transfer or use a taxi service. I recommend Centurion Tours. Their office is under the escalators on the left side as you face out, or the right side as you face in... I've used them repeatedly and they are honest, trustworthy, safe, and fully trained and licenced.

You could also consider Emirates. Likely to be cheaper, but it is a bit of a detour to go via Dubai so you'll need a few hours more.

Turkish Airlines flies directly to Cape Town as well, via Istanbul. That's a shorter detour than the Middle East, and might be a really good compromise between cost and duration. And, you can probably arrange a stop-over in Istanbul as well, just because!

Check Egypt Air. I have a funny feeling that they also fly directly to CT. Also try Ethihad and Qatar, not sure, but worth checking.

Don't bother with SAA, they refuse to service CT internationally for political reasons and their service is generally poor to hopeless. I have vast experience with them and have stopped using them altogether.

I strongly recommend flying directly into Cape Town and NOT going via Johannesburg. It is so much easier, and my experience is that the customs queues are faster here than in Joburg, and you won't need to hassle with or pay absurdly high fees for another flight.

My best friend flies BA each year to Cape Town and he's had only good experience on it. I've flown BA locally and had good experience on it as well. Perhaps your Thailand flight was an isolated bad flight.

If you want tips on what to do in CT, just ask me...

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
233 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Flights to Cape Town From the UK

There is a lot to do in Cape Town!

We have excellent beaches to suit just about every taste. From wide expanses to small enclaves.

We have vibrant nightlife, just take care where you go.

There are many awesome restaurants in and around Cape Town, offering cuisines from places as varied as Portugal, China, Ethiopia, Iraq / Iran, Italy, Japan, Vietnam, India, Thailand, local, and many more. From relaxed family restaurants to high-priced fine dining restaurants to pubs with "standard" menus...

Table Mountain and the various other mountains in the area offer amazing hiking opportunities and spectacular views! If you're here on or a day or three before a full moon, then consider doing the traditional Lion's Head Full Moon hike. The idea is to start walking about 90minutes before sunset, watch the sunset and moonrise from the top, and then hike down by moon and torch light. It's an incredible atmosphere up there! Arrive early, parking fills up fast and you might need to park a kilometer away as I did this month!

There are many wine farms around Cape Town, and several offer cellar tours in which you learn how the wine is made and you can taste wine and cheese (wine tasting for over 18's only, but your teens will be allowed in).

There are loads of museums around Cape Town worth visiting.

I do recommend sundowners at Blue Peter in Blouberg. That's where the famous view of Table Mountain over the sea is taken (check my profile pic).

A visit to Kirstenbosch is well worth it. This is our National Botanical Gardens and it is huge and truly magnificent! You can access the side of Table Mountain from there and hike to the front if you want. You can picnic on the lawns under the trees too. And there is a stage there which often hosts some outdoor concerts by local and international music acts - buy tickets in advance.

We have our own breeding colony of African Penguins at Boulders Beach just outside Simonstown. Well worth going to see. And while down there, visit Cape Point and Cape of Good Hope. This is the end of the Cape Peninsula but not the joining point of the Indian and Atlantic oceans as indicated in the marketing blurb. That happens at Cape Agulhas, a good 3-4 hour drive way!

And of course, if you're after some African hand crafts, then Greenmarket Square in the middle of the CBD is the place to visit. Shop around first, and then buy things. You can bargain there, offer half their first proposal and haggle. Don't go too low, please, this is their income and these things do take time to make. You should settle around 60-70% of their original price. Might be useful to take a local along who knows what things cost... We get "local price" if we ask and they hear our accents!

London
Level Contributor
247 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Flights to Cape Town From the UK

Hi TA friends.

Well we may be about to book our flights finally. Seems that financially we are looking at going via J'burg as because of the children's holidays we are really restricted on when we can fly hence the great expense. It's no ideal but there we go. We are considering South African airlines but one of the posters on here said they were dreadful. Has anyone else had any experience? There's also Emirates which is an option perhaps but even longer.

I'm wondering if we fly via J'burg whether it makes sense to fly to Cape Town first, then do the Garden Route and end up by Port Elizabeth and fly back to J'berg from PE airport? We'd like to also fit in a Safari for a couple of days as well if anyone has any suggestions?

Thanks so much

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,023 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Flights to Cape Town From the UK

You can either return from PE or George. The last stretch of the so called Garden Route between Plet & PE is pretty boring & PE itself is nothing special. George is a cracking little airport & the hire car one way charges in SA, at least with Avis, are very reasonable.

Berkhamsted, United...
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Flights to Cape Town From the UK

We've only ever used SAA between the UK and SA and have never had any major issues. I have no idea why people say they are so terrible.

London
Level Contributor
247 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Flights to Cape Town From the UK

Hello every body. I'm very excited now because we have finally booked our flights. Going direct made no sense financially over Christmas so we are going with Emirates via Dubai to Cape Town and flying back Port Elizabeth to J'burg and then home via Dubai again. We have booked our car hire as well. We got trailfinders to do all of this and found them really helpful.

Now it's the slightly thorny situation of booking all our accommodation in Cape Town and on garden route and our safari (gulp gulp RE the prices!). Any advice would be great. Thank you so much for all the advice on here so far. I've had fabulous holidays to places like Thailand based on wonderful TA suggestions and really think it's a brilliant resource.

Ilkley, United...
Level Contributor
1,002 posts
282 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Flights to Cape Town From the UK

Hi

Glad you have booked your flights - I've booked mine too.

You need to decided on what you want to see as distances are vast and can be tiring!

How many nights have you got to play with?

Don't try and do everything and also 1 night stops are useless in such a great country.

Start planning now as it is School holidays in SA and places do get booked up very early.

I have used Trailfinders before and they offer a great service. They didn't book the flights for us this year but they tried but couldn't match Lufthansa's prices direct.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
3,643 posts
535 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Flights to Cape Town From the UK

Hi

Most places ask for a 50% deposit on booking, but the exchange rate is very good at the moment!

One of the reasons I use trail finders to book my flights and car is that they class it as a package and you only have to pay the balance 2 months before departure. So you can book your accommodation straight away without huge bills!

As lucyjames says, you will be travelling at the very height of the season, so I would book as soon as possible to have the best choices

Lisa

London
Level Contributor
247 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: Flights to Cape Town From the UK

Hi. I have 14 nights to play with. Trailfinders suggested 4 nights in CT then 2 nights Stellenbosch, 2 nights Oudtshoorn, two night Knysna, 2 in St Francis Bay and 2 nights safari. How does that sound? Am I missing something obvious?

Get answers to your questions about Cape Town Central