We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

public transportation + protest in Feb 2014

United States
Level Contributor
357 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
public transportation + protest in Feb 2014

planning to visit ~6 days in mid Feb;

want to take photos of (mostly urban)

attractions, street scenes, shopping,

dining, recreation, historic, markets, etc.

Mostly daytime & with single small camera;

First visit; read other threads about

increased public transportation choices;

other than taxis, what will be "safe" to take?

Is there bicycle share system?

Are urban protests all-mostly African participants?

As a White photographer wanting to get photos

of signs, etc., would I be targeted, unwanted?

(I supply photos to textbooks, travel guides, etc.)

I may use Hilton points for stay -- is this property

in good location, public transport & other activities

within walking distance?:

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cape Town - Upper Eastside

Any general advice appreciated.

Recent shoots include Beijing, Hong Kong, Paris, Singapore, Bangkok...

ILIOS Travel
Taxis & Shuttles, City Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Cultural Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Citi Shuttles
Taxis & Shuttles
Africa Afrika Cabs and Tours
Private Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Wineries & Vineyards, Day Trips, Taxis & Shuttles
Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
101 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: public transportation + protest in Feb 2014

If you want to stay in central Cape Town i would suggest you stay at the Hilton Cape town central rather than the Upper Eastside Double Tree which is located in a mixed use suburb about 10-15 mins from the city centre.

From the Hilton Cape Town centre you will be able to walk to virtually everywhere you want to photograph.

Public transport consists of the new My Citi bus system. At the moment there are approx 4/5 routes from the city in different directions. There is no bicycle system. Yes most protesters are either african or persons of mixed race.

I think you will be perfectly safe taking photos.

United States
Level Contributor
357 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: public transportation + protest in Feb 2014

> suggest you stay at the Hilton Cape town central rather than the Upper Eastside Double Tree

Thanks for info! To anyone:

Reason for DoubleTree = far less Hilton points, which is what I'll be using for entire stay

Is there any "safe" public transport from that DoubleTree from-to photo opps

(shopping, dining, attractions, etc.)

When you say DoubleTree is in mixed use area, what do you mean? Thanks!

Edited: 6:51 pm, January 17, 2014
Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,263 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: public transportation + protest in Feb 2014

Mixed Use means mixed commercial, light industrial and some lower middle residential areas. Quite a bit of new development including the big new Double Tree Hotel. It is certainly not a standard tourist area. Maybe look around the area using Google Maps Street View. Here is the link to TA Reviews of the hotel :

The nearest MyCiti bus stops are around an 8-10 min walk away (Lawley or Upper Salt River). As Hugh says MyCiti is Cape Town's new Integrated Rapid Transit System. In this area it is on-street buses. Modern and certainly safe. Buses run into Adderley Street and the Civic Centre. Here you can change to the other routes. The system is due to have a significant expansion with new routes starting February 15th.

Here is a link to the route map after Feb 15th - myciti.org.za/docs/…20Routes.pdf

The system is a "cashless" system and to use the buses you need a My Connect Card - available all over the city for a once off fee of R25 - onto which you load funds and then swipe as you go. Fares are cheap around R5 per journey on this route.

4. Re: public transportation + protest in Feb 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 19, 2015