We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self-driving the Garden Route

Winnipeg, Canada
2 posts
Save Topic
Self-driving the Garden Route

Hi,

My husband and I would are planning a trip to Cape Town and would really like to tour the Garden Route. Our preference would be to rent a car and self-drive, however we have some concerns about safety. If anyone has any thoughts or concerns on the safety of doing this please share. Thanks!

Andrea

Baz Bus - Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Hop-On Hop-Off Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Bus Tours
Cape Town Helicopters
Helicopter Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Air Tours
City Sightseeing
City Tours, Hop-On Hop-Off Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Cape Convoy
Shark Diving, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Brentwood,ca
Level Contributor
275 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Self-driving the Garden Route

hi, were thinking the same trip.Anxious to hear any replies you recieve.

Berkhamsted, United...
Level Contributor
1,667 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Self-driving the Garden Route

I've never had cause to feel unsafe on the Garden Route. I'd always choose to self-drive it, over any other option. The roads are good, traffic signage is observed, I've never felt threatened in any wa, either when driving or at any specific location along the way, and having your own vehicle gives you more freedom.

If you can tell us your specific concerns, people may be able to provide more detailed responses.

Hamilton, New...
Level Contributor
53 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Self-driving the Garden Route

I agree with Sandsy40, been along the Garden Route multiple times and different roads, safe as houses.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,411 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Self-driving the Garden Route

Easy and safe. You'll really enjoy it.

Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Self-driving the Garden Route

In December we picked up a car at Cape Town airport and drove up the garden route stopping at Franschhoek, Swellendam, Storms River Mouth and Knysna- then dropped the car off at Port Elizabeth airport.

I found it completely safe- but saying that we travelled during daylight hours.

Choose your car hire company wisely. We used Hertz but never again. They could not provide us with a map of the Garden route and when dropping off the car- charged us for filling up- even though we filled it to the brim at the airport service station.

For me, the best part of the route is in the Knysna, Plettenberg Bay area.

We are planning to do the same again in 2015. But next time we will hire a cheaper car in PE (Affordable Car Hire R30 a day), maybe do the standard route then return via the Karoo- Oudsthoorn where the ostrich farms are.

Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
5,281 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Self-driving the Garden Route

Definitely self drive, have never felt unsafe or threatened anywhere in SA.

The flexibility and ability to do whatever you want over a regimented tour is unbeatable.

north yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Self-driving the Garden Route

Done similar trips a couple of times. Wonderful. Don't let scaremongers put you off. I would say it is as safe as anywhere else in the world. We are going again in two weeks and we are in our late 60's/early 70's.

man of kent
Level Contributor
125 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Self-driving the Garden Route

Tim Can i have their address thats cheap £2.00 a day car hire we did the route safe as anywhere else but we never drive at night Wilderness is nice we also stopped at Plettenberg Bay for a few nights loved it. there is a lovely bird sanctuary there cant think of the name you will have a great time good luck

Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Self-driving the Garden Route

Hi! Sorry I got my $ and R mixed up. They were $30 or R300 pd. the address from memory is Circular Drive, Lorraine. They are not new cars but perfectly OK. They will even pick you up from the airport.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
149 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Self-driving the Garden Route

It's perfectly safe. We have done this trip probably over 50 times in the last 15 years. Don't pick up hitchhikers observe the basic rules if the road and you will be fine. I would recommend leaving Cape Town in the N1 National road and going through Franschoek on your way out. When you carry in you will go through the Du Toits Kloof tunnel which is fun. Remember there is a toll booth just before the tunnel. Cost is about R 38 I think.

Go through Worcester and then onto Robertson and Ashton. This is wine country.

You will join the Garden Route at Swellendam and then you have a choice of Mossel bay ,George, Wildernis, Sedgefield, Knysna, Plettenburg Bay, Natures Valley, Storms River and Port Elizabeth.

enjoy