We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cape Town restaurant attire

Everywhere
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
Cape Town restaurant attire

Hi there!

Quick question- what is the attire for most men at nice restaurants in Cape Town? When we go to somewhere warm on vacation my husband usually wears nice shorts, collared shirt and probably flip flops. But we're planning to go to places like Baia, Harbour House and Nobu while in Cape Town. Will this be too casual?

Thank you!!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,097 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cape Town restaurant attire

If Nobu is like the one in Oz the dress code is best described as smart casual, so give the flip flops and shorts a miss. No tie or jacket needed.My experience in CT at nice restaurants was mostly that style of dress ,ie. men in long pants, casual nice shoes and open neck shirts or collared polos.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cape Town restaurant attire

I'd say for lunch you could definitely get away with smart shorts and flipflops, but for dinner its probably safer to wear chinos or some other long pants. Harbour house isn't overly formal, Nobu a bit more so. And I doubt they would say anything, you might just feel a bit under-dressed.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,113 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cape Town restaurant attire

"Will this be too casual?" Definitely Yes!

But thank's anyway for at least asking. I am however surprised that people think that shorts and flip-flops would be acceptable attire in top level restaurants in any major city in the world. Would your husband attempt to go dressed like this to a top restaurant in London, Paris, New York or Rome? Why would Cape Town be different. Although I do think that Cape Town is not quite as formal as some of these cities. There are not many restaurants left in Cape Town these days that would point blank refuse entry if your husband didn't have a tie or a jacket - or if you were dressed in trousers! Stargaze's guidlines would be acceptable in the summer in most Cape Town restaurants. Cape Town is not a Beach Resort or a Greek Island - it is a sophisticated working city.

For Lunch, Harbour House or Baia at the Waterfront would probably seat you - although you might be directed a little towards the back! But that reminds me why we very rarely go for dinner at the Waterfront when we want a good meal - apart from the top restaurants not being there. Tourists often just wander in no matter how they are dressed and expect to be served. I don't want to take my wife or business colleagues out for a special dinner and have people wandering in dressed for the beach. Or even worse in pseudo "safari gear" - well "we are in Africa"!

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
15,550 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cape Town restaurant attire

We have found people to be very well dressed in restaurants in Cape Town.

Sydney
Level Contributor
88 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cape Town restaurant attire

Agree with stargaize, Did not go to Nobu but went to the other 2 restaurants mentioned in Feb this year - no problems with nice jeans, long pants, collared polo and casual shoes. Thongs ( flip flops) are for the beach not a nice restaurant.

Blyth, United...
Level Contributor
228 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cape Town restaurant attire

We'll said VdC.My thoughts exactly!

Gros Morne National...
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
1,664 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cape Town restaurant attire

Relax Kauai2011, you will find most Captonians gracious and hospitable hosts. Don't stress over what you need to wear where. Just wear what you would to a comparable restaurant in the US.

If you have concerns about what to wear each night, ask at your guest house, they are probably familiar with the place you are going to.

An old etiquette rule that has helped me out of many a quandary, "Wear what the waiter is wearing". If they are wearing a jacket then you should, if they are in shirt sleeves you should be, and if they are wearing shorts then you can too! :)

Everywhere
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cape Town restaurant attire

Thank you all!! Great advice.

9. Re: Cape Town restaurant attire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, December 29, 2014