We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Globespan flight MAN to Cape Town

Doncaster
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Globespan flight MAN to Cape Town

I am thinking of going to Cape Town in November and trying to get a good deal on a flight from the UK.

I have looked at BA and South African Airlines, but they are about £740 - £800 return, although they are direct, but I have the trek to Heathrow.

Taking a stop with Luthansa comes in at about £560, and I get to fly from Birmingham or Manchester, but I get 16-17 hours each way.

I have then found Globespan who from the start of November fly direct from Manchester to Cape Town. Economy from about £570. As far as I can see the downside is the leg room (30" which is OK for 2 hours but for 12?), luggage allowance, and no food. They seem to be putting the no frills concept on long haul.

Does anyone know how reliable they are, what the service is like etc.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,237 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Globespan flight MAN to Cape Town

Maybe you should ask in the Canada forum? I have never heard of them.

If their leg room is less than SAA's window seat ones, .... ouch!

Food is not important as it is frightful on every airline.

London, United...
Level Contributor
246 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Globespan flight MAN to Cape Town

There is also a company called Travel5live.co.uk who have an Excel 'scheduled charter' flight. They have an upgraded seat selection available too. I think it's different than the Globespan charter, but can;t see them operating both flights succesfully - with five flights a week between them thats over 1000 seats from Manchester a week - but good luck to them.

Worth a try anyway I would think

Doncaster
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Globespan flight MAN to Cape Town

Well, I have bitten the bullet and booked the Globespan flight. But have treated myself to business class, at about £1200 each. So we shall see. At least they only take a deposit now and the balance at 70 days which is pretty good.

I did notice that, like other low-cost operators, after I had booked the price on the same flight went up, so maybe there is only 2 or 4 seats at each price.

Doncaster
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Globespan flight MAN to Cape Town

Well, now booking this was a really good move, not. Globespan have now for operational reasons removed one flight a week for 6 weeks. You've guessed it - my flight out.

They will kindly put me on another flight at no extra cost (although not refunding the reduced fuel surcharge - see otehr threads). Of course I have now booked my time of work, hotels, car hire etc for these specific dates.

So I think I will have to cancel Globespan and take what I can get. Virgin looking the favourite at the moment.

newcastle
Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Globespan flight MAN to Cape Town

Have you considered KLM? From Newcastle we prefer to go to Cape Town via Schipol rather than Heathrow, and presumably you could do the same from Manchester?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
642 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Globespan flight MAN to Cape Town

would recomend KLM as the last post - Schipoll much less agro than Heathrow!

Doncaster
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Globespan flight MAN to Cape Town

Thanks for your comments,

Decided to got for Heathrow and a direct flight and got a bit lucky. During Friday Virgin dropped their prices again to about £440 for an economy return. When I started looking about 6 weeks ago, they were £700+. BA and South African are still over £700.

So I have booked at that price.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
63 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Globespan flight MAN to Cape Town

Hi guys,

Congrats on the Virgin fare, but for the record Globespan are very good. They are one of Scotland's biggest airlines now (this is where they are based) and friends of mine just flew Glasgow - Orlando and said it was fine.

I flew FlyGlobeSpan Edinburgh - Barcelona in June and it was really good. They are a low cost carrier but they are not scummy like Sleazy Jet or Ryanscare, they really seem to try!

S

9. Re: Globespan flight MAN to Cape Town

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 pm, August 19, 2009