We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the law regarding Infant Car Seats in S.Africa?

Shanghai, China
2 posts
Save Topic
What is the law regarding Infant Car Seats in S.Africa?

We will be travelling to Cape Town and the surrounding area this coming Christmas and will be renting a car. I have booked a car seat for the car rental, but am wondering, when we do guided wine tours (where we are in someone else's car), will we be required by law to have a car seat for the baby (under 2 years old)?

I've tried looking this topic up in past forums, but the entries have expired or been discontinued.

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
4,256 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is the law regarding Infant Car Seats in S.Africa?

South African law requires that your baby sits in a SABS-approved baby car seat up to the age of 3 years old (or under 21 kilograms).

Thereafter, the law states that your child must be buckled up using the standard fitted (adult) restraints / seat belts.

A booster seat or seat-belt positioner must be used for children under the age of 12 in order for them to wear the seat belt in the correct way.

In South Africa it is compulsory that all passengers in a motor vehicle must be strapped in at all times and it is the responsibility of the driver to ensure that all passengers (including children) are always strapped in.

Arrange for the tour company doing your guided tour, to provide a baby seat...... they should normally do this free of charge ( I do).

Sadly, many people in South Africa do not comply with the law, which is downright stupid, AND it also seems to be poorly enforced by traffic authorities.

However, I strongly suggest you comply, not the least of reasons being:

Safety First, and "better safe than sorry"!

Remember, ideally, for best protection, the child seat should be in the back , and face backwards, if possible, away from airbags.

Enjoy your tour

regards

Gavin

SABS means:

South Africa Bureau of Standards

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,971 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is the law regarding Infant Car Seats in S.Africa?

I agree with Gavin, rather be safe than sorry and support the SABS.

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours

Gros Morne National...
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
1,662 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is the law regarding Infant Car Seats in S.Africa?

As has already been said, unrestrained children risk injury and death during a crash, regardless of regulations.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,511 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is the law regarding Infant Car Seats in S.Africa?

Hi ShanghiMichelle

If you have your own car seat then bring it with you as your child would be used to it and it will be the correct size for the child.

If you hire a seat check that it has been maintained in the correct way so that it is not defective.

If your tour operator provides a child seat then also check that the seat has been safety checked regularly and is covered by the passenger liability insurance.

Having said that "It is your child" and no amount of compensation can replace the child.

Safety First

5. Re: What is the law regarding Infant Car Seats in S.Africa?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, September 11, 2014