We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

safty in Cape town

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
safty in Cape town

me and my husband plan to spend 3-4 days in cape town area in September.

every one tells us that we should be extremely careful going out by evening since its not safe to walk the streets after dark.

we like to go out at the evening to have some drinks or dinner.

is it actually that dangerous???

we thought we should stay in the center of the city, and choose a hotel or B&B close to the bars and clubs.

any recommendations?

:)

Lena

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,025 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: safty in Cape town

You'll be perfectly safe in the evenings, particularly if you stick to the Waterfront, which has both excellent restaurants & bars. They are all reviewed on TA, as are the hotels & Guest Houses, my preferred option throughout SA.

Edited: 12:18 pm, July 21, 2013
Avila Beach...
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: safty in Cape town

Cape Town is as safe, probably safer, than any other city. Use same precautions you would anywhere else. If you are staying near the waterfront you can walk to restaurants at night - otherwise hire a taxi through your hotel (restaurants will also get you a taxi when you are ready to leave).

Gros Morne National...
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
1,664 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: safty in Cape town

I choose to take a taxi back and forth from the guest house to bars or restaurants.

There are certain areas in Cape Town that aren't very safe after dark, taxis are cheap and I am usually too lazy to walk :)

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
3,024 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: safty in Cape town

You do not mention in which area you will be staying? For that matter, if you stay in Green Point, Sea Point, Mouille Point - it is an easy 10-30mins walk to the Waterfront for a late drink and dinner. From the city, you can take a late afternoon walk to the Waterfront and return back via a taxi. Taxi"s charge between R9 - R11 per kilometer and it's perfectly safe. In Camps Bay, there is a few places to enjoy along the beach strip but from there to the Waterfront i would suggest that you take a taxi, too far to walk.

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: safty in Cape town

we haven't decided yet where to stay...

we are looking for not to expansive area with nice bars and restaurants (out accommodation budget is ~100$ for 2 adults).

is waterfront area considered to be the place with most active night life?

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
3,024 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: safty in Cape town

You can have a look at Village and Life, www.villageandlife.com for options. I know that they have a promotion on at the moment that you can stay for 4nightds and only pay for 3nights. They have properties in De Waterkant, Mouille Point, Camps Bay and also the Waterfront. All of these places are closely situated to restaurants, bars and also shopping centers and within easy walking distance.

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours

7. Re: safty in Cape town

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, July 26, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Cape Town Central