We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on transport Cape Town to Inverdoorn

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
206 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on transport Cape Town to Inverdoorn

We are in Cape Town for our Honeymoon in December and are thinking about a trip to Inverdoorn - unsure whether we will stay overnight or not (we have our accommodation already booked in Cape Town).

We also have some nights booked in the Winelands and also at Simons Town, so we can't make it up to Krugar unfortunately and thought this 'might' be an option rather than nothing.

I have been intouch with then for costs for day trips and also 1 night stays. The transfers are working out at around £90 per person. We 'may' have a car (unsure yet) and so could possibly drive, but it would be easier (especially if we are just doing the day trip0 to have transport included.

Is there a cheaper option for the transport? £90 seems an awful lot, we would have thought especially being South Africa it would be cheaper.

Any thoughts or help?

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on transport Cape Town to Inverdoorn

Transfers at £90 per person sounds about right, keep in mind Inverdoorn is a good 2-3 hour drive from Cape Town and you will probably be the only people on board, so you are paying for the vehicle and driver for the day, plus toll fee and fuel (which is not far below £1 per litre now in South Africa).

It will probably be cheaper and easier to just rent a small car and drive yourselves there. The roads are good quality and safe. I would also then consider spending the night, otherwise you will find yourselves being on the road for 5-6 hours return, for a brief mid-day visit. That's like a day visit from London to the Peak District. It can be done, but is it worth it?

Onne from Wild Wings Safaris

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
206 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on transport Cape Town to Inverdoorn

If we are the only people and the pick up if from our hotel, then it 'may' be a little easier to take. We are thinking it's like travelling from where we are (Newcastle) to Manchester, which costs around £40, and so thought £90 was a lot.

We haven't decided if we want to do it or not yet, so can't work out if it's worth it for us. I think we need to decide if we'll get back home and wish we had, it's probably better to at least have the day than spend many months wishing we'd done it.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
3,018 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on transport Cape Town to Inverdoorn

The price sounds about right for the return transfer to Inverdoorn Game Reserve. It also includes, toll fees, fuel, driver and vehicle for the day. The trip is a good 3hrs drive and can be stressful, so i would suggest that you can rather take the transport than rather driving. But it all depends on what your decision will be. The other thing is also, you will possibly not be the only people on the transport to the Reserve.

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on transport Cape Town to Inverdoorn

Hank, if they're not the only people on the vehicle then I would agree that £90pp is a bit expensive. To me it sounds about right as a vehicle rate (£180 is about R2800). If it is Inverdoorn's own transfer, maybe it is priced for 2 people. I wonder if the price would stay the same if there are more people in board?

74jax, are you saying that a private transfer for 2 people from Newcastle to Manchester would cost about £40 per person? One way or return? Also, is the £90 pp Inverdoorn quoted you one way or return? If both are priced one way, I can understand why you thought £90 was expensive.

north yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on transport Cape Town to Inverdoorn

If it were me, I would hire a car, drive yourself, and stay overnight. There are various packages, some as little as £125 per person per night (at current exchange rates). Then you can have a leisurely drive, take a packed lunch, have dinner, one or two game drives and breakfast and then a leisurely drive back. You will get to see more of the countryside and feel rested. If you think the £125 includes dinner, which you will still pay for if you take a day trip, it makes it quite reasonable. Alternatively, give it a miss completely. If you have done Kruger then I think you may be a bit disappointed (I am only saying this through researching on TA for my own trips - I have never done Inverdoorn - always done Eastern Cape Game Lodges.). Congratulations on your wedding. What a great place for a honeymoon!!!

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
206 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on transport Cape Town to Inverdoorn

Thanks all, I'm still waiting to hear back if the transport is just private for us two and collected from our hotel, or if it's a tour bus from Cape Town.

We haven'd done Krugar and we are just staying around Cape Town, not venturing up to Krugar during our Honeymoon, so we thought we might as well try and get in this trip. We totally understand it won't nearly be the same, but we feel once back home maybe we would wish we had at least been to Inverdoorn.

Initially we hadn't planned it at all, which is why I think we aren't keen on the night stay, we only have a week around Cape Town, before heading off to the Winelands for 3 days and then on to Simons Town for 4 days, before travelling on to Dubai, so it would be taking 2 days out of our Cape Town stay.

Travelling for 5 hours for one day is excessive but we don't mind as it would be our only real tour that we would do, the rest would be much more closer by.

Thanks everyone.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
206 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice on transport Cape Town to Inverdoorn

Inverdoorn have replied, the pickup/dropoff is at our hotel but also picking others up en-route.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
3,018 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice on transport Cape Town to Inverdoorn

You can plan your trip around this as well. Because of the fact that you will have about 3nights in the wine lands, you can maybe have an overnight at Inverdoorn at on your way back just pop in at the wine lands and spend the 2/3days there. I would take maybe a day away from the wine lands and add it to an overnight safari. You also do not need 4days in Simons Town. You can even take 1day away from here and add it to an overnight safari. With that said, you can take a easy drive the one day overnight and take a nice easy drive back the next and overnight in the wine lands and then from there head to Simons Town for the rest of the days.

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
206 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice on transport Cape Town to Inverdoorn

They have told me they are full either side of our winelands stay, and also full whilst we are in Simons Town (new year) but we could do a day trip during these times as they can still do transport.

Many thanks though for all your help, it is appreciated.

10. Re: Advice on transport Cape Town to Inverdoorn

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:05 am, November 01, 2013
Edited: 9:05 am, November 01, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Cape Town Central