We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels by V&A waterfront

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
219 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Hotels by V&A waterfront

I have read many reviews in the hotel section and want to pick a hotel for our 4 night visit to Cape Town.

I have two questions;

1. We are two women alone and want to be able to walk to restaurants at night. Would the V&A waterfront be a good location?

2. Can anyone recommend hotels in that location?

Thank you. Any suggestions will be appreciated!

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,938 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels by V&A waterfront

1) Yes the Waterfront would be a very good place to base yourself at.

2) Hotels that you can have a look at: Cape Grace Hotel, V&A Waterfront Hotel, Queen Victoria Hotel, One & Only Hotel, Dock House Hotel, Portswood Hotel, Commodore Hotel, The Breakwater Lodge, The Table Bay Hotel and then off course the self catering apartments not too far away, Village and Life Group.

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
219 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels by V&A waterfront

THANKS SO MUCH HANK!

You made this so easy for me!

Lovetotravelny

Bournemouth, Dorset
Level Contributor
222 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels by V&A waterfront

Have stayed at the Portswood twice. We could walk to the Waterfront in a few minutes. Felt quite safe walking even at night. Portswood is a comfortable hotel with friendly staff.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
27 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels by V&A waterfront

My sister and I stayed at the V & A hotel on the waterfront for 4 nights. We felt perfectly safe the entire time, there are lots of restaurants within walking distance and the area is flooded with "safety officers". The hotel was very comfortable,their front desk staff was truly helpful and accommodating. We walked over to the Grace for afternoon tea , which was yummy, but agreed we liked the V&A's location better. Enjoy!

Randburg, Gauteng...
Level Contributor
977 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels by V&A waterfront

very safe area, no problem for a women walking around, i have also stayed at the City Lodge, Waterfront, very reasonably priced, no frills, but clean, neat, friendly and lovely breakfasts.

Lyn - Owner - Thorntree Tours and safaris

Alberta
Level Contributor
103 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotels by V&A waterfront

If you are on a budget, I stayed at the Protea Breakwater last month and got a very cheap rate through booking.com. It was more than adequate for my purposes. The breakfast buffet is great too.

I agree that it is pretty safe there, even in the evening, but I did have a guy approach me as I crossed the parking lot alone, towards the aquarium. It was 6:30 am and I was on my way to take sunrise pictures, and he asked me if I knew where the hospital was in kind of a low voice as he started to cut me off. Probably just begging, but I moved kind of quick to beat him to the stairs to avoid finding out how aggressively he wanted some money. Was I a target with my backpack and tripod? Of course. Just take reasonable precautions and you'll be fine.

Enjoy your trip, it is a gorgeous city.

7. Re: Hotels by V&A waterfront

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, June 01, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Cape Town Central