We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Table Mountain Climb

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Topic
Table Mountain Climb

Hi guys,

I wanted to do a climb of Table Mountain while in Cape Town, and I was wondering if anybody could tell me the best way of doing this?

Do I have to hire a guide?

Thanks,

Nick

Gros Morne National...
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
1,662 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Table Mountain Climb

Have you checked out this company?

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g312659-d2…

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
176 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Table Mountain Climb

Hi Nick if you don't want to use a guide, it is not necessary. My advice would be to do one of the more popular routes, such as Platteklip Gorge. This route starts just past the cablecar station & goes up the nick you see in the mountain. For coming down, you can chose to use either the cablecar or to walk down. Please note the normal precautions when hiking - suitable shoes, plenty of water, sunhat, clothes for if the weather changes, etc. You don't say if you will be hiking alone, which isn't advisable. However, if you are, you could safely do this hike on a very nice day as loads of others would also be doing it. The only fee would be if you used the cablecar for the downward journey.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,971 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Table Mountain Climb

I 2nd Jenni's post above and also, start early in the morning.

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Table Mountain Climb

Hi Nick - the others are quite right: a Platteklip ascent does not require a guide but it's also the most popular way up and you may have to share the trail with others, though not on a summer season scale. It's a straightforward 1.5/2hr hike up a series of switchbacks, conveniently taking you to the upper cable car station.

Other routes though would best be done with a guide. Many of them aren't technical and several are easy hikes up but the best ones have a bit of scrambling to them. It's more a case of going with someone who knows the way and can also tell you about the mountain ecology. It helps to have a lift there and back as well.

Drop me an email at thefynbosguy@gmail.com if you'd like more information.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
452 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Table Mountain Climb

Here is a link to Table Mountain with additional info which may interest you tablemountain.net/visitor_info/…

Regards

Michelle

Owner - Cape Town Guide

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Table Mountain Climb

Thanks Guys! Great information!

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
287 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Table Mountain Climb

Just be aware that the weather on the top of the mountain can change in minutes. You need to take adjustable clothing.

8. Re: Table Mountain Climb

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, May 24, 2014