We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nervous about driving Chapman's Peak Drive

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Topic
Nervous about driving Chapman's Peak Drive

I'm generally a little nervous driving along coastlines with steep drop-offs and kind of narrow roads. At the same time, I would hate to miss the scenic beauty of this drive. Based on the pictures, the drive doesn't look too nerve wracking. Any thoughts?

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,525 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nervous about driving Chapman's Peak Drive

Here's a plan - drive on it going South. Then you are next to the hillside, not next to the precipitous drop to certain death. Well, that's a little bit of 'hype' - but it is a little friendlier southbound.

Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
4,922 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nervous about driving Chapman's Peak Drive

Hi there

Glad to know I am not the only person feeling that way !!

Just to second what Dave has advised, we also did the drive southbound next to the hill. There are lovely stop off points along the way to check out the view and stretch your legs. Then coming back from the point you can enjoy a leisurely drive, stopping at Simons Town, Boulders beach and so on.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
50 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nervous about driving Chapman's Peak Drive

This is a spectacular drive and the road is really good. We enjoyed it so much we made a point ofgoing back at sunset one evening for the views. The driving really isn't bad at all. As far as I recall there aren't any sheer drops. It is a toll road and very well maintained. Don't miss out on this and honestly don't worry about the road -take it slow and you will be absolutely fine.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nervous about driving Chapman's Peak Drive

It's a very easy drive and not at all dangerous, it does have a lot of bends but you won't notice because the views are so spectacular.

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
4,358 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nervous about driving Chapman's Peak Drive

Eish!

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,987 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nervous about driving Chapman's Peak Drive

I also agree with Dave, but just to add about the drive is that you then need to do it early in the morning. Because by around between 10am & 12am you will have a lot of traffic that might make you a bit uncomfortable. So start at least around 8:30am so that you can be there at about 9:30am just in front of the heap of traffic.

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
452 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nervous about driving Chapman's Peak Drive

It would be a pity to miss out on this magnificent scenic drive! As mentioned above already driving southbound will give you better "secure" feeling. We have travelled this road numerous times in both directions and it really is easy to drive.

Michelle from Cape Town Guide

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Nervous about driving Chapman's Peak Drive

Thanks everyone for the kind responses. I appreciate the good suggestions. We will definitely do this drive. I like getting up early, so beating the rush will be easy enough. I will be in Cape Town in about 4 weeks and am very much looking forward to it.

Regards,

Mike

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,987 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nervous about driving Chapman's Peak Drive

Enjoy every minute of it and take as many pictures as well. Just another bit of info about Chapmans Peak Drive, seeing that you will be driving south bound, is that the look out points down into the bay will be on your right hand side, so you will have to cross the road at certain stages and there are many bends for oncoming traffic. So make sure you get to a look out point that will give you clarity for both sides for when driving onwards again.

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours

Cape Town
Level Contributor
127 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Nervous about driving Chapman's Peak Drive

My wife also find it difficult to drive. But take it slow and get someone else to drive. Or when you drive focus on the road and not where you plan to kill yourself. ;-)

It's worth it. And if you cannot do it then drive from Kommetjie to Cape Point and to Simon's Town. It's beautiful.

Get answers to your questions about Cape Town Central