We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hop-on-hop-off bus

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
118 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Hop-on-hop-off bus

Hi,

I am looking at buying 6 adult tickets for the city site seeing bus on-line for 2nd 3rd April. The web site specifically states that pre-paying does not guarantee a seat. Is this bus generally crowded or can we assume that we can get a seat on the bus, 2nd and 3rd being week-days? My concern is that it is Easter and wondered if this meant more tourists

Cape Town
Level Contributor
733 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Hop-on-hop-off bus

Easter is busy here in Cape Town but I am sure you will get a seat on the bus.

Mark September

Small World Tours

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,569 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hop-on-hop-off bus

Hi Thilakawathie

Because of the size of your group, it might be a better option to hire a driver/guide for half a day or so.

It all depends on your stops and how long you want to spend at the stops.

It will give you the flexibility without too much extra cost.

For different tour operators check out the following link tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g312659-Activiti…

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,438 posts
5,653 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hop-on-hop-off bus

With your group size, I might also suggest the private driver as it might cost a similar amount and you have the flexibility to choice attraction visits more selectively and can do everything on your own time, no waiting for the HOHO bus to arrive and take you to the next drop off point.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
118 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hop-on-hop-off bus

thank you all -much appreciate your replies. I have already booked two tours with a private guide to the winelands and the Cape tour with Chapmans Peak Drive. Thought we could do table mountain and Kirstenbosch gardens on our own. May be we can get a taxi?

Brescia, Italy
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hop-on-hop-off bus

From my experience the HOHO buses in Cape Town are seldom full and are a great, inexpensive and flexible way of exploring Cape Town. They also add extra buses over busy days so don't worry ;)

Cape Town, South...
Destination Expert
for Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
902 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hop-on-hop-off bus

You'll have a much more fulfilling experience with a guide than with a recording....

Brescia, Italy
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hop-on-hop-off bus

I'm sorry I'm not agree, I had a lot of interesting information on the red bus, informations that a guide, used to do the same route didn't give anymore,

also personally I love to have the opportunity to be with the sun on your face and take pictures freely

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,438 posts
5,653 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hop-on-hop-off bus

>>>>also personally I love to have the opportunity to be with the sun on your face and take pictures freely<<<<

Seems reasonable that this can be done with private guides as well. While we are fans of the Hop On Hop Off City Sightseeing Bus in Cape Town, if it is cost advantageous to use a guide and private transportation, this is worth considering, even if just to have flexibility in what sights you want to see and what time you want to visit. No more fixed schedules and waiting for buses to come pick you up. ;-)

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,990 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hop-on-hop-off bus

You have the 2 options available to you, but the 1 will be cheaper which is the HOHO bus than a private guide for the day. By buying the tickets does mean you will be able to make use of it for the full day and take as many stops for the day as you want, which will excludes entrance fees off course. You will have the flexibility as well to get off at certain points of interest or continue with the journey and will still have the freedom to do what you want for the day. The bus sometimes does become full but there is buses every 15-20min, so you can skip one if you like. The City Route, which is the Red Route is the more popular one which i would suggest to start early so that you can avoid the rush of loads of people on the bus, and start at the Aquarium in the Waterfront which is the start point of both the Red & Blue Route. Starting time i would suggest, is when the first bus leave.

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours

10. Re: Hop-on-hop-off bus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, March 28, 2014