We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Cape Town safe for two female travellers?

Bournemouth...
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Is Cape Town safe for two female travellers?

We are two girls in our twenties keen to spend a few days in cape town after work commitments. We have been warned that safety wise it is quite dangerous... Could people please help us out a bit here?

We have both travelled before - India, Australia and Europe so feel confident but are a bit put off by some stories.

We are looking to travel the cape of good hope, table mountain, boulders beach and camps bay and perhaps a wine tour and are on a shoestring budget.

Any recomendations/ encouragements/ warnings most welcome.

Thanks in advance :)

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Is Cape Town safe for two female travellers?

super safe. my daughter lives there. its a big city but no worse than any other. enjoy

22. Re: Is Cape Town safe for two female travellers?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:35 pm, August 02, 2013
23. Re: Is Cape Town safe for two female travellers?

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:05 pm, March 13, 2013
Bournemouth...
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Is Cape Town safe for two female travellers?

Thank you :)

25. Re: Is Cape Town safe for two female travellers?

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:35 am, December 14, 2013
Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
61 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Is Cape Town safe for two female travellers?

I just returned from my first South Africa trip. I have been all over the world and I truly loved South Africa. It ranks right up there for me now. Cape Town is amazing. However, you do have to be cautious. Yes, this also applies for other big cities in many other parts of the world. Common sense is the key. Despite what you read here, I personally did not feel safe in Long Street - it dawned on me while I was there and sure enough, I ended up having a little incident. Camps Bay, waterfront, etc. are all perfectly fine in my view. I would only go to Long Street to visit specific bars or restaurants, i.e. go there directly by taxi/car. That was my experience.

London, United...
Level Contributor
399 posts
Save Reply
27. Re: Is Cape Town safe for two female travellers?

What was the incident on Long Street? I felt fine there at midnight.

CT
Level Contributor
120 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Is Cape Town safe for two female travellers?

Personally, the Cape Town CBD is something that I would rather choose to avoid at night. Many people I know enjoy visiting Long Street at night and are perfectly fine but a lot of dodgy stuff does happen there. Personally, I would avoid walking around the CBD at night, however, thats just my opinion and I am sure others would differ. As the previous poster says - rather use a taxi cab to get around the CBD at night.

@BomBom033, what was the incident you spoke about?

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Is Cape Town safe for two female travellers?

Hi. Cape Town is about as safe as any other major international city. Just apply common sense to time and places. If travelling to different places within the CDB, taxi fare wont cost you more than about £5 (R60). So grab a cab when unsure.

CT
Level Contributor
120 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Is Cape Town safe for two female travellers?

I think cab fares are about R9 or R10 per km - which is expensive for locals but obviously cheap for visitors from the UK.

Get answers to your questions about Cape Town Central