We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Table Mountain alternatives

Overland Park...
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Topic
Table Mountain alternatives

I was very disappointed to learn that the usual two week maintenance period for the Table Mountain Cable Car will be FIVE weeks this year, meaning it will be closed during our four days in Cape Town. This is depressing news as we were very excited about visiting the mountain and maybe doing the abseil at the top.

Are there any other reasonable alternatives for viewing the mountain? I know it's possible to hike to the top, but I don't know that our sixty year old parents will want to do a five hour, fairly strenuous hike. How are the hikes on Signal Hill and Lion's Head? Any other thoughts from the Capetonians here?

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
186 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Table Mountain alternatives

Any idea when this maintenance is taking place?

I'll be there in June.

Howick, South Africa
Level Contributor
781 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Table Mountain alternatives

From their website - tablemountain.net/visitor_info/opening_hours

QUOTE-

The Cableway's annual maintenance period for 2013 will be five weeks long, as major maintenance is required according to the stipulations of the Swiss Governing Body for Cableways.

Confirmed dates for the 2013 annual maintenance period are Monday, July 22-Sunday, August 25 2013. The Cableway will thus not be operational during this period.

UNQUOTE

Cape Town
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Table Mountain alternatives

There is no "easy" hike right to the top of Table Mountain or Lion's head really, but there are lots of ways to get amazing views without big climb -

The first part of Lion's head is a relatively easy path (only a few steep sections) that winds round and round giving you a full view of Cape Town. The last section is pretty hairy, requiring some rock climbing, but you don't have to go all the way to the top to enjoy the view.

Another easy hike on the mountain is the contour path from where you park at the bottom cable way around the back of the mountain above Camps bay - this only turns into a serious hike when you start climbing up to Kasteelpoort, but you can easily turn around at that point.

FYI The quickest route up TM is Platteklip - a fit person can do it in a hour, unfit person could take 2 hours. Very steep like a staircase, just made out of rocks. Problem is that once you are at the top, you still have to come down - so thats another 1-2 hours. Not ideal if your parents are not fit and used to hiking, so not advisable for them.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
127 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Table Mountain alternatives

I agree with Hatter08. Take an easy hike.

Never be disappointed. There's always a good reason. And you may have been the stat that fell on it's head when the cable car failed.

Have fun and go with the flow.

Johan Horak

Cape Town Holiday Accommodation Agency

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
287 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Table Mountain alternatives

I have hiked TBM with my 70 year old parents in law, and I know a lot of other golden oldies who do it regularly. provided you take sufficient food and drink and take it slowly it is an amazing experience for a family.

6. Re: Table Mountain alternatives

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:31 am, March 11, 2013
London, United...
Level Contributor
399 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Table Mountain alternatives

Definitely hike Table Mountain. I did Platteklip in 55 mins, running the first part until it became to steep and I had to hike. Very simple route to the top and not difficult for anyone with reasonable fitness; the cable car down was nice too but noisy and touristy.

8. Re: Table Mountain alternatives

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, February 26, 2014