We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire

uk
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Car hire

Has anyone ever used 'Around About Cars' for car hire? I found them on cybercapetown.com, they have great rates but i have never heard of them, my other option is Hertz.com.

Thanks in advance.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,251 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Car hire

If you are going to be using and international car compay, Avis is usually cheaper than Hertz.

Burton upon Trent...
Level Contributor
213 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car hire

We used Avis and were very happy with the service and the car

London, United...
Level Contributor
309 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car hire

we are using HolidayAutos y because they were good value and because they use Eurocar who are based in the Holiday inn V&A waterfront

south africa gauteng
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Car hire

Don't know them but I have seen some scary cars next to the road in CPT. Don't know which company they belong to but they are R99 a day. I suppose if you are just going to drive around in CPT you should be Ok.

We normally used Avis they are exellent but very expensive. We used a car in Durban in Dec 2005 and again now in CPT in April that i booked through selftours. They have some kind of agreement with Budget but are cheaper than if you book directly with Budget. There were quite a few rands difference in the quote I got from budget and the one from selftours.

www.selftours.co.za

London, United...
Level Contributor
309 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car hire

Holiday Autos are a UK based car rental broker who use all the major players etc, in SA they use Eurocars , they are cheaper then going direct

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
642 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car hire

Hi

Used Around about Cars in March 2006. Good service - delivered to our accommodation and came highly recomended by our excellent hosts at Auberge du Cap in Camps Bay. Car was brand new and very resaonably priced

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
167 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car hire

Hi

We were in Cape Town in November and used Atlantic Car Hire. They were excellent. We hired a Nissan X Trail which was great.

They also collected us from the airport. Would highly recommend.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
39,028 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car hire

used Avis once and a bit of the cars front bumper nearly fell off on the motorway from pretoria to nelspruit! Very scarey, and we got a replacement car in nelspruit. You dont expect this from a large reputable hire firm. Plus they billed us wrong, and we had to dispute this when we arrived back in UK. They backed down. Would not use avis in SA again.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Car hire

Whoever you use please check the insurance terms carefully. The only company I have found in SA which offers fully comprehensive plus no excess is found at www.africarhire.com who offer "Total Cover" with all other rentals their are potentially problematic exclusion clauses. Read the terms you are accepting and be sure you are happy with them.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
95 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car hire

I used Africar hire in Dec, they are agents for Hertz and once the booking is done you pick up the car from Hertz. I chose them because they had the best insurance cover. The only downside is that you need to pay for the rental up front.

Get answers to your questions about Cape Town Central