We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What happened to our Destination Experts?

Kelowna, BC
Level Contributor
170 posts
143 reviews
Save Topic
What happened to our Destination Experts?

All I see is lisasplaces - and I don't recall seeing a post from lisasplaces. What about divacape and all the others?

Kelowna, BC
Level Contributor
170 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: What happened to our Destination Experts?

I'm SOOOOOOOOOOOOO jealous! I wish I was going back soon.

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,733 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: What happened to our Destination Experts?

times change and I believe one just needs to get over the fact that "old" people disappear andnew ones pop up.

At times it becomes very ..... (please insert what you want) to always reply to the same questions and when one does, to get ..... on (I understand VdC).

I still believe there is very good advise available on the various CT forums as well as on the SA general forum.

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Palma de Mallorca...
Level Contributor
380 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: What happened to our Destination Experts?

VDC was last seen on a train between Cape Town and Fish Hoek !!! Only he or she would get this sarcastic comment as it was quite a clash of opinions we had on many an occasion!

I do not live in Cape Town anymore so cannot give current local advice.

Diva continues to give real advice for visitors to our beautiful city that is invaluable. Plenty of others who live on the other side of the planet are also known as experts but I have to say I do not always agree with their recommendations for visiting our country.

Anyway, keep up the good work. Times are hard now and SA Tourism is really being tested with drop in number of visitors from our traditional core markets.

All being well I will escape the cool wet Mediterranean winter for some summer sunshine in Cape Town and Swellendam in the New Year.

Kelowna, BC
Level Contributor
170 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: What happened to our Destination Experts?

Sorry everyone - I didn't mean to open a can of worms! I was on the wrong site. I was thinking of the Cape Town forum, not the Cape Town Central forum. I'm happy to have any or all of the D/Es respond and many who are not D/Es but who I know are very knowledgeable. I just love to read about Cape Town and the places I visited and had such a wonderful time at. Including Fish Hoek!!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
648 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: What happened to our Destination Experts?

Hi Crox nice to hear from you - have you left SA then for the med then? I read last month that tourism arrivals are up in SA? Are they not filtering their way to Cape Town perhaps because of SAA cutting the direct flight? I hope this is not the case as tourism is a massive industry in SA with massive potential still - it could double in size.

Whilst I was driving through the Abel Erasmus pass in August I was just thinking that there are so many spectacular, unvisited parts of the country! There is potential growth in both the traditional destinations and at new locations..

PS Crox - was your joke at VDC's expense about whether to take the train down to the cape peninsula?!

Edited: 8:26 pm, November 13, 2012
Paris, France
Level Contributor
842 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: What happened to our Destination Experts?

Ah Crox I get your 'sarcastic' remark as I am sure Diva will. She always agreed with you re the safety (or not) of those trains! Yes we noticed during our last 2 visits that tourism was down everywhere apart from the Kruger.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
648 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: What happened to our Destination Experts?

I thought that's what Crox was referring to but did not want to bring up the dreaded c-word relating to safety!

I am guessing people on the ground would disagree with the following news:

fin24.com/economy/more-tourists-flock-to-sa-…

We didn't go to the Cape or Garden route this year but I agree with FP that Kruger and the surrounding area was busy..

north yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: What happened to our Destination Experts?

I obviously don't know about tourism figures but........... in 2010 when we visited I knew only one person who had ever been to SA. This year, I know 8 people who are either there now, have just come back or are going in the next 4 months. Maybe it was me giving SA glowing reports!!!!!

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
3,265 posts
514 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: What happened to our Destination Experts?

Crox,

We can't all agree!! What some people love, others hate.....

I have regular and past DE's to thank for introducing me to some of my favourite spots in the Western Cape

Loved the train comment - it made me smile!

Hope you are enjoying your life in the Med - was it Mallorca?

Lisa

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
5,975 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: What happened to our Destination Experts?

Actually French Poodle by the looks of the daily crowds at the waterfront tourism in cape town is UP certainly not DOWN. You cant move there so i dont know about those stats.

Get answers to your questions about Cape Town Central