We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Europcar OK??

north yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
135 reviews
Save Topic
Europcar OK??

Have never used this car hire company before - anyone had any problems? They are the cheapest when comparing but am worried about reliability as we will be using car for 50 days.

north yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Europcar OK??

Yes - very lucky - though I only had a week in Portugal before this instead of 3/4 holidays this year. Actually it's a bit of a cheat - my husband says his maximum holiday is 6 weeks. I stretched it a bit!!!!!!!!!!! I don't think he realises it is more than 6 weeks!!!!!!!!! He doesn't take much notice at the planning stage.

Kigali, Rwanda
2 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Europcar OK??

My friend and I rented a car for two weeks from the Jo-burg airport in April. They were very nice then. However, after the trip I was charged 150% more than what I had already paid for the two week rental. And it's been a huge headache trying to get through to someone who will send me an invoice. Their customer service has been terrible; polite, but incompetent.

Also if you decide to take the car into Swaziland it's very expensive. After signing the paperwork, the employee said, "Oh, you know that's an extra 795 ZAR, right?" Actually, no I didn't, but decided it was worth it. Turns out it is actually about twice that amount once all the fees were added that he didn't tell me about.

(I posted this on another forum as well)

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,019 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Europcar OK??

I'm also an Avis fan & find that the convenience of having an Avis Preferred card saves a lot of messing around & no queuing on pick up. It's also cheaper when booking via the BA website as Avis are BA's preferred partner.

I've just run a comparison for our trip next Feb/ March & Avis were nearly £100 cheaper than Europcar for a BMW.

malaysia
Level Contributor
161 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Europcar OK??

Europcar is reliable, but, with any car hire, it would be a good idea to inspect the car and photograph (It's no hassle with a digital camera) any small defect, ding or scratch anywhere on the bodywork and insist that it is noted down on the invoice form. We picked up a Merc with an obvious dent on one door, so that was no issue, but you should record all the minor scratches even though it looks unimportant. The problem is the inspector when you return the car. If they are obsessive, then arguments arise. I try to make it a point to pick up cars in the light of day and not in the evenings, as you are more likely to be in a rush and in poor lighting, minor dents could be missed.

Hope this helps, and enjoy your hols.

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,019 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Europcar OK??

I totally agree with "bboymsia". I always get the car washed before returning it. If it's good & clean then the inspector tends not to look too closely.

Ilkley, United...
Level Contributor
968 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Europcar OK??

Something else to think about when returning your hire car is take a photo of the fuel gauge when you arrive at the airport and maybe your watch showing the time etc....

When we returned the hire car last January they tried to say the car was only half full and did we have a receipt for the fuel we had paid for!

Nic - I have booked a car for Xmas via Avios miles using Avis. I looked at the Avis Preferred card but it stated that it was free but they needed a credit card to complete the application - a bit strange.

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,019 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Europcar OK??

There's nothing strange Lucy. They store both your credit card & driving licence details so that there is no paperwork to do when you collect your car at the DEDICATED pick up point. I'm afraid that I'm a typical male....I don't do queuing!

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
3,656 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Europcar OK??

exacltly the same thing happened to us when returning the car at P.E airport, Europcar also claimed that we had returned the car late. Fortunately we had taken a photo of the fuel gauge and had details of our flight which showed which time we had left for Jo'burg . The agent Carhire30000 were able to arrange for our credit card to be credited with the excess charges .

Ilkley, United...
Level Contributor
968 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Europcar OK??

Thanks Nic I will sort it out tomorrow.

When you are a member do you get a better deal on up grading the insurance to full cover with no excess? Not sure if its best to arrange a seperate policy to cover the excess, its just easier to take it out with the carhire company even though it is more expensive!

The car hire was a freeby with my Avios/BA miles thanks to Tesco's vouchers & my BA flight last Xmas to Cape Town .

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,019 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Europcar OK??

Hi Lucy, I always take out an annual insurance as it's cheaper & covers all our vacations. This year I paid £49.99 through Questor.

questor-insurance.co.uk/vehicle-hire-excess-…

Re Avios, I assume that you have a BA Amex card? This year ours took us to Cape Town & back foc in First & its doing the same at Xmas to Nairobi. If you want the ins & outs just PM me.