We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay/what to do with a 5 year old

bucks uk
Level Contributor
86 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
where to stay/what to do with a 5 year old

I have 6 nights in cape town in Dec 2006 with my 5 year old son. Looking for a child friendly hotel in safe area at medium price. Also any must do sights for me and my son would be helpful or any tour operator who can offer the right kind of day tours.

London, United...
Level Contributor
409 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to stay/what to do with a 5 year old

Cactusberry Lodge, Cape Paradise Lodge and Prince Lodge all do welcome children and have medium prices. Have a look at www.southafrica-stay.com for more accommodation options in and around Cape Town.

Have a look at www.hyltonross.co.za for daytours. I only heard good things about them so far.

You definitely have to visit the Two Oceans Aquarium at the V&A Waterfront with your son.

I also regard the South African Museum as interesting for children.

There is a theme park called Ratanga Junction at the N1 with roller coasters and various animal and dance shows. Maybe that's also something for you and your son.

Enjoy your trip! :)

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: where to stay/what to do with a 5 year old

Things to do - have trip to Spier Wine Estate near Stellenbosch, you can get a nice picnic/lunch/coffee (Or cold drink for a 5 year old! Mum might even like a glass of wine!) you eat/drink by the side of a lake and the ducks will come and look pleadingly for some crumbs. Then stroll along the lake to the cheetah centre. Your son may be a bit young to actually go in with the cubs but I'm sure he would enjoy seeing them playing. There is also a bird of prey centre there and he can "eyeball" the owls etc. A bit further afield is Boulder Beach near Simonstown where you could paddle with the penguins on a beautiful beach or just go to the other end of the beach and stand on the boardwalk within a few feet of them. I always hire a car so am not well up on tour operators but there are many and I'm sure you will get recommendations.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: where to stay/what to do with a 5 year old

World of Birds in Hout Bay

Seal Island boat trip from Hout bay harbour

The Scratch Patch in the V and A

Imhoff Animal Farm in Noordhoek

Butterfly World in Paarl

Fairview wine estate - has a goat tower and mom can sample some wines and cheeses while your son runs about with all the other kids around!

Penguins at boulders

The Aquirium at the V and A

Table mountain

Kirstenbosch Gardens - Pack a picnic and enjoy

St James Tidal Pool in False Bay

Surfing school in Muizenberg - Mom's and youngsters welcome! Try Lifestyle Surf Shop

Where to stay

Bloomberg apartments Camps Bay (google it!)

The Long Beach - Noordhoek (Part of The Last word Collection)

I would say rent a car! Then you have the freedom to go and see whatever you like (and move on when you like!) . Cape Town is easy to navigate and the roads are well sign posted.

Have fun!

bucks uk
Level Contributor
86 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to stay/what to do with a 5 year old

thanks to everyone who has replied and teh helpful suggestions