We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Touring from Camps Bay - Robben Island

Perth, United...
Level Contributor
61 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Touring from Camps Bay - Robben Island

Will be in Camps Bay 20th Nov. Can you get bus to Cape Town to visit Robben Island. How far is Harbour from Camps Bay as our ship arrives early in morning on 20th Nov Can we get a taxi easily from harbour to Camps Bay? Any info on what to do in 3 nights 4 days. Scottish thank you.

Weybridge
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Touring from Camps Bay - Robben Island

The Robben Island trip goes from the Waterfront, so you are right there when your ship docks. If you wanted to then go to Camps Bay, a taxi ride from the Waterfront to there is about 10 minutes, depending on traffic.

If you have 3 nights/4 days in Cape Town, you can easily fill your time. Take half a day out to do Robben Island, and another half day to visit Table Mountain. Taking a hop on/hop off tourist bus around the city will not only orientate yourselves, but you also get to hop off to see all the attractions along the route.

Visit Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens too, as these are lovely and relaxing.

And take a trip down to the Cape Peninsula or to the Winelands.

So so much to do, I am sure your ship will have tours that you can join too, but these would be my top recommendations.

Tracey, Director - Travel Butlers

Edited: 10:52 am, August 29, 2012
Ilkley, United...
Level Contributor
1,014 posts
282 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Touring from Camps Bay - Robben Island

Maybe try and book a trip to Robben Island on line before you leave the UK - its very popular and a shame to miss out.

The as Tracey mentions lots to do and see depends what you like.

Its very easy to drive yourself.

Certainly go down the cape, Kirstenbosch Gardens and also the winelands area are not to be missed.

But a must is Table Mountain - if its a clear day with not much wind just GoGoGo! Its also nice to go and see the sunset from the top.

So much to see - I'm sure you will want to go back again and again!

Perth, United...
Level Contributor
61 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Touring from Camps Bay - Robben Island

Thank you for all your help. Ship stops at Cape Town for all get off and fly home so no excursions or tours available. We have booked hotel in Camps bay for a few days and need to know how to get to Waterfront to visit Robben Island and I think we are near to Table Mountain. Also taxi from harbour to Camps Bay when we get off ship with luggage. How long willthis be and how easy to get taxi. Most on ship will get transported to Airport. We will not be driving. Does hop on/off bus go thru Camps Bay to Waterfront. Looked at internet but do not know how long it would take from hotel to get to Waterfront. Reviews say if Robben Island is booked from internet it may be cancelled due to weather and alternative date given which would not be suitable us only being there a few days . Should we wait and see what weather is like and go to waterfront & book? Sorry for all the questions

Weybridge
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Touring from Camps Bay - Robben Island

The taxi from the harbour to Camps Bay, I would say, would be about 15 minutes. I am sure there will be loads of taxis waiting for the ship to dock, so I wouldn't imagine there will be a problem there. I assume you are staying at the Bay Hotel in Camps Bay (tho my assumption could be wrong!), in which case you are in a lovely place, right on the front, with a taxi rank right outside, or the Consierge there will be able to call one for you. The hop on/hop off bus also stops right outside the Bay too. A taxi to the Waterfront from The Bay will be, as mentioned before, about 10 minutes, traffic depending, and the bus a bit longer as they take it slower.

In November, you would be pretty unlucky for the weather to be bad enough to cancel a trip to Robben Island, as this is the start of their summer, so as Lucy says, you could prebook this before you go via their website.

Ilkley, United...
Level Contributor
1,014 posts
282 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Touring from Camps Bay - Robben Island

The hop on and hop off bus will take you to the Waterfront for Robben Island then you can take it to Table Mountain and also Kirstenbosch.

Another day would be spent down the Cape - maybe a coach trip and the same for the Winelands area.

It depends how much time you have.

Maybe contact the hotel you are staying at and ask them for suggestions re coach trips to Cape and Winelands then you could maybe decide or at least get some ideas before leaving.

I am sure if you are not coach trip people they would be able to suggest a private car with driver for the trips.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
3,011 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Touring from Camps Bay - Robben Island

On your arrival at the harbour, there will be taxis available, but you also can get a private transfer from there to Camps Bay. The price for that can easily be R195.00 one way for 2people to Camps Bay. For the rest of the things to do, the Hop on Hop off bus would be the most convenient to get yourself around and yes the bus runs past the main road in Camps Bay. With this bus you can get to the entrance to Robbin Island, Table Mountain, museums in the City and historic places as well and then off course back to Camps Bay. For things further out of the City or Camps Bay, you can easily book a day tour to the Wine Lands, Whale Spotting, Cape Point or even up to the West Coast. They will pick you up right in front of the Hotel, so no worries there with that.

Hank Daries - Owner - Ulungele Tours

Perth, United...
Level Contributor
61 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Touring from Camps Bay - Robben Island

Danki (thankyou) to all for all your info. So glad we have booked at Camps Bay at Prima Seacastle hotel as it was suggested to us this was a nice place and on the beach. Seems to be very central with hop on and off bus going by. Joan

Avila Beach...
Level Contributor
1,182 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Touring from Camps Bay - Robben Island

Book Robben Island ahead of time. If they cancel it they will refund your money. HOHO bus is great, easy to use and as mentioned above runs through Camp's Bay to the Waterfront. Be aware if you want to take it back to Camp's Bay you will have to go through the entire route and it will take some time, so maximize your time by picking places to stop and see along the way. Many hotels have shuttles that run to the Waterfront so you may want to ask your hotel.

9. Re: Touring from Camps Bay - Robben Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, September 04, 2013