We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any comments re security & safety in area of 133 Hatfield St

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Any comments re security & safety in area of 133 Hatfield St

We are booked at 9 Flowers Guest House in the next month. Is this area a desirable one w.r.t. safety?

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,946 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any comments re security & safety in area of 133 Hatfield St

Hi freedance

What have you heard to indicate otherwise?

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any comments re security & safety in area of 133 Hatfield St

Hi freedance,

The area is in the Gardens, close to the Mount Nelson Hotel and is quite safe during the day. However, there does not seem to be an official grading of the property and it is not close to the Waterfront so, at a cost of approx. R900 per room, this is possibly not the greatest deal during the month of September.

Suggest you compare comparable accommodation on www.booking.com.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any comments re security & safety in area of 133 Hatfield St

Thanks Capetownfan. No, I have not heard anything at all and since I am unfamiliar with the various areas I was seeking reassurance that this area was safe to move around in on foot.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,946 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any comments re security & safety in area of 133 Hatfield St

Hi freedance

As the previous poster stated it is quite safe during the day and you are close to Parliament, the Company's Gardens and museums. You are also on the Red Route Sightseeing Route. Close by is also Dunkley Square with a few nice restaurants. I would ask at the GH about walking short distances in the evening but would recommend taxis if it is a bit further out.

Hermanus, South...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Any comments re security & safety in area of 133 Hatfield St

Hi, Just joined the forum, you are fine in the gardens area you are in cape town itself. Parliament and Dorp St and Adderley Street are main street with lots of activities. Enjoy yourselves and ask the owners of the B & B to advise you before you want to venture into unknown Outside Off limit areas ...Cape Town is not to be afraid of, only when visitors hire their own car and get lost in unsavoury areas just like any city anywhere in the world. Dont go looking for trouble. Relax and enjoy your visit.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any comments re security & safety in area of 133 Hatfield St

Thank you for the responses.

Is there any part of Cape Town that deserves the "unsafe" or caution rating with respect to accommodation that we have read/heard about from other "travellers"?

Hermanus, South...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Any comments re security & safety in area of 133 Hatfield St

capetown is a large town I would not call it a city like Johannesburg. The logistics of Cape Town is good, meaning that the roads are easy to find because they are squared off and not deadend crescents etc. Keep to the tourist recommended areas. I as a Capetonian who also lived and worked in Johannesburg for forty years and now retired in Hermanus.Western Cape would advise you to talk to the tourist board of any town and ask them questions and ask for maps and highlight the unsavioury areas which common sense would tell you, like where are the night clubs and police stations and stay away from those areas. During the day stop people and ask them questions, we are a very friendly bunch and you would probably find yourself in someone home and adopted. So come and enjoy your holiday we are all here to help you.The gardens area you talk of is near Long Street where I would not go at night unless I was brave and young and strong with a lot of friends, there are many night clubs in this area but during the day it is fine. long street goes straight up to the kloof where you go to Table Mountain, so you are sure to see it, it is also full of antique shops and curosities and history "Malay" and the swimming baths are there it is also en route to the Mount Nelson. Just be safe and enjoy.When I hear other travellers tell stories I ask myself which traveller ..the one that gets out of his car in the game reserve to feed a lion or the one that thinks it is an adventure to hire a car and go driving into our "gettos" which has become fashionabe and stupid.

Cape Town Central...
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Any comments re security & safety in area of 133 Hatfield St

HI Freedance,

I live close to Hatfield street and as others have posted it is perfectly safe in the day (with obvious street smart precautions as in any city... e.g. no wallets in backpockets etc).

I frequently walk to evening venues (or take the MyCiti bus) but normally get a taxi home later in the night.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any comments re security & safety in area of 133 Hatfield St

Thank you to all. Your info is what I wanted to hear and believe. I feel more comfortable now.

10. Re: Any comments re security & safety in area of 133 Hatfield St

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 pm, December 15, 2013