We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

121 Loader Street

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
121 Loader Street

Why can't something be done about this?

People are being ripped off year after year.

Can't Cape Town Tourism do something? The police? Anyone?

Cape Town is such a joy, but experiences like this ruin its reputation.

Something shojuld be done. It's fraud.

P

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,971 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 121 Loader Street

Why are you mentioning about this place? Have you been a victim?

If that might be the case, i know one of the directors that sits on the board of FEDHASA. Really something to look into.

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 121 Loader Street

Yes. Another victim of Mr Paizee who was threatening, ang got away with stealing R7500 because the place was too discussing to stay in. We left as soon as we saw the place.

The advertised photographs bear no relationship whatsoever to the actual place which is a squalid hovel.

It's time that it was stopped. Companies like Capestay should also be brought to task. They are aware that the photographs are fraudulent, yet they still book this accommodation.to unsuspecting guests. It is so so wrong.

I tried to sue but realistically, the advocat I was recommended did little to help. It just cost me more money for nothing.

121 Loader Street completely ruined our long awaited holidays. It is totally abhorrent that this still continues.

I woul strongly recommend that you do take any steps that you can.

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,669 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 121 Loader Street

Hi Neill,

Capestay is an internet based website and takes NO responsibility for their listings. There have been numerous bad reports about 121 Loader Street on Tripadvisor. The onus is on the holiday-maker to check reviews before booking a rental and it is a real pity that you did not do so.

Several people have tried to sue Mercure but, without success. He has even been reported to the Health Department but, it would appear, that he manages to get away with things and evade all authorities.

Send me a private message and I will refer you to a lawyer who might be able to assist.

Edited: 2:48 am, August 07, 2012
Cape Town
Level Contributor
127 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 121 Loader Street

What's the lesson out of this?

Neil I cannot really help you with the guy who stole your time and money. But I can try and spread the message. What are the lessons you and others can share?

I will volunteer a few. And I will not thrash other accommodation business models. Some of the ideas can be seen as what you should have done :-)

1) Do a search for the property adress before you book. Here's one for your /friend/ ;-( http://goo.gl/ZLyhb and it does not look good. It looks as though the property is up for sale as well.

2) Many accommodation businesses do not list the actual address then you should read reviews on the accommodation business itself. I recommend to all tourism and accommodation businesses to add a static page with testimonials.

3) Verify how the accommodation listing place protects you? This is important as I believe accommodation listing businesses cannot blanket list home owners without verification and taking responsibility in some way.

4) There are various accommodation business models. (a) You list your home and you pay a fee. Like the company you mention above. (b) You list your home and the business books it out and takes a commission. (c) Variation on (b) is where the home gets listed for free but inspected by the listing business (this is the one I prefer) (d) then you get various individuals listing on Gumtree (this can be another dark hole).

If you know what type of business you are dealing with you can limit your risk.

5) If you cannot verify your issues then check with Tripadvisor. This should probably not be after the fact. Do it in any-case.

6) Always remember that you can and will be taken for a ride. Beware ;-)

Please add any advice you may have. I will make the guidelines available to all interested.

If you think I am redefining the wheel then please point me to guidelines on how a non suspecting person like Neil should go about finding respectable accommodation businesses.

Thanks in advance

Johan Horak --- Cape Holiday Accommodation -

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,669 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 121 Loader Street

I feel very strongly that Mercure Paizee should not get away with ripping tourists off and refuses to show his property when authorities wish to view it. Surely, in a tourist haven like Cape Town, measures can be taken to take this person to task?

6. Re: 121 Loader Street

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 am, August 21, 2013