We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

damage excess refund

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
693 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
damage excess refund

Hello just wanted to ask we are looking to book a car for our 18 night trip and it adding on Damage excess refund which is coming in at 140 extra do you get that back when the car is brought back in perfect condition??? Thanks very much

Somerset
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: damage excess refund

Difficult to give a definitive answer without more info but the normal practice is the car rental company offer inclusive insurance for CDW + Theft with an Excess clause. This figure will vary depending on the company and the type of vehicle.

If you wish to remove the Excess clause (on the CDW/Theft) you can pay an increased premium so you would not be liable to pay this Excess amount in the event of a valid claim. Just as you pay an initial premium for the basic insurance and even if you bring the car back "as new" you don't get a refund equally the extra payment is simply a higher level of insurance premium and again you do not get a refund.

Naracoorte
Level Contributor
2,861 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: damage excess refund

As somersetal says. Basically, you decide if you can risk having an accident/theft incident and being liable to pay the excess amount (you weigh up the 'benefit' of a reduced premium overall against the stated excess amount you would have to pay) or just cough up the higher premium to reduce your potential excess payment to zero (or a lesser amount). If you have travel insurance, a decent policy will state what rental car excess amount the policy covers and under what conditions they will pay. In that case, you may be able to consider just paying the lower premium.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
4,274 posts
562 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: damage excess refund

You can buy a separate zero excess policy from many insurance companies. This quite often works out cheaper than buying the zero excess from the car hire company. I have saved £100 doing it this way for 3 weeks car hire in November in South Africa.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,925 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: damage excess refund

Check the Terms and Conditions on any excess policy (including those sold by car rental agencies) some exclude driving on unmade roads which is difficult to avoid in South Africa.

I got cover with Questor https:/…hire-car-hire-excess.aspx which seemed to offer good coverage and price. Have not needed to make a claim.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
4,274 posts
562 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: damage excess refund

Yes, I agree most do not include driving on gravel roads, although I have never had a problem myself. I too have never claimed and for 7 weeks, it may be more effective to just pay the excess in the event of an accident

Lisa

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
152 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: damage excess refund

Yes most exclude driving on gravel roads but this exclusion doesn't apply if you HAVE to use that road to get to your accommodation. The reason why I am pointing this out is because you will have to drive on such roads if you are staying in any of the private reserves in Kruger.

The cheapest "zero-excess" I have managed to find is for £50.

https://www.questor-insurance.co.uk

Their CS is also top notch.

7. Re: damage excess refund

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, August 12, 2013