We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Temperature

London
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Temperature

We mat be visiting Cape Town in August, but we are worried that the temperature and climate may not be the best time to visit. Does anybody have any information/advice? Thank you!

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
79 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Temperature

Hi I am SAfrican living in UK but can help you ... August is not the best time to visit Cape Town. It is winter and it will be raining and chilly. Suggest you go January/ February for the best weather - summertime is their dry season and very warm. The rest of SA has dry winter and wet summer just to confuse you!! If you need to holiday in August suggest you do a safari trip in Kruger Park areas as it will be dry (but still very cool in the morning and evening but around 22 in the day) Also its when you get good deals at the safari lodges (although some now do not give seasonal deals). Good luck

South Africa
Level Contributor
89 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Temperature

I live in Cape Town.

May-July are the wettest and coldest months. Our school holidays are from mid-December to mid-January when it is hottest and can be quite crowded on the beaches and in hotels. This is fine if you want to party, but..

I would recommned October-early November or mid-January to March when the weather is still very good, and beaches less crowded. If you are interested in seeing whales September and October are good months. The queues at Table Mountain will be much better too.

Hope you have a good trip.

Roger

UK
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Temperature

Just reading all your replies...I'm going to CP 11th Sept for 10 days, what is the weather usually like at this time of year?

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,247 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Temperature

Coldish

bbc.co.uk/weather/…

saweather.co.za/Climat/…CapeTownStats.jsp

Nelson, New Zealand
Level Contributor
55 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Temperature

I am a recently emmigrated Capetownian and have to warn you of this. My birthday is at the end of September, Spring starts on the 1st September and (barring 2005) for the past 4 years there has been snow on the mountains on my birthday.

The weather in Cape Town can go through all four seasons in 1 day. You could have wonderful weather or it could be a cold winter. We left Cape Town last year in July (25th) and the temperature was 25 degrees and winter hadn't really hit yet. It was definitely alot chillier but not that bad. Apparently according to friends back home - winter with rain, storms etc hit at the beginning of August and only lasted a month. My advice is to take a warm jacket and a couple of sweaters but take cooler clothes too. Unfortunately it is definitely pot luck in Cape Town re the weather but thats why we love it so much - Cape Town keeps us guessing. Also check out the weather reports on the net as an idea of what the weather is planning to do. Contact SA weather guide on http://www.weathersa.co.za/

Good Luck

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
462 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Temperature

Our weather in September is almost identical to what you would expect in the U.K. in May, maybe even a little warmer. Our August weather is like your April weather. July and August are definitely the wettest months but that does not mean continuous rain. In addition, not all areas in Cape Town have a lot of rain. The wettest areas are the Newlands & Constantia areas but the Camps Bay and Waterfront areas often escape a lot of the rain.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
35 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Temperature

its rather cold at that time of the year yeah. and with cape town being a more sunny,beachy,touristy spot ,the likelihood of things happen isnt that great.best bet would be nov/dec.thats when the place starts cookin!