We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

School group in Cape Town: I need some advices...

Turkey
Level Contributor
293 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
School group in Cape Town: I need some advices...

Hi to all the Destinations Experts in Cape Town:)

I am a ballet academy owner and ballet teacher. We will be in SA with a group of 10 people to perform in a festival in Montagu. Then we will pass to CT for sightseeing and enjoying the city. Our group will be consisting of 6 girls aged btw 13-15 years old, and 4 women including me as the teachers and technical staff. We want to enjoy the city without missing anything, see and experience everything which is typical to CT or SA. So my plan is to work with a tour company to organise our trip with our needs and their suggestions. So I read the forums here and take note of the companies and guides recommended here. But if you have different suggestions of them, I will be happy to hear the adivices.

My questions is more for the accomodation:

We as group and me personnaly, we generally prefer vacation rentals and self catering houses while travelling, it is always much more comfortable. Here, in CT also I found some of them, really great and affordable but I have 2 questions:

1. About safety: I read so many forums here and around about this subjet and the parents of my students are so worried about this, I was wondering if staying in a self catering house would be less safe than a hotel?

2. About location: Most of the houses I found are in Camps Bay area. I understand that this is a beach area. So does it mean it will be isolated during winter time? (We will be there at July). Does the life continue there with people, shops, cafes and restaurants etc during winter also or not? And as I see the place to be is Waterfront for dinner etc, is it easy to reach there by taxi? It seems only around 10 minutes but is it easy to find a taxi in CT? And also even if it is vivid during winter time, I always choose locations to stay to make me feel that I am really in that city. So is Camps Bay reflect the soul of CT, will we feel like "this is CT" while we will be looking from window (all the houses has lovely views), or walking around home, or is it like any beach town in any coastal area, far away from the spirit of CT and SA.

And the same questions for Camps Bay apply also to Sea Point, Green Point and Mouille Point?

I prefer to find a place in Waterfront but could not find one to accomodate 10 people until now. And a final question: Waterfront and De Waterkant are the same place?

I know that I asked too much but as I am responsible for the whole group, especially for my young students, I want to be sure about everything.

Thanks from now:)

Turkey
Level Contributor
293 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: School group in Cape Town: I need some advices...

Please, I am still waiting for replies... By the way, I know now that Waterfront and De Waterkant aen't the same place... But I am still waiting about especially Camps Bay in winter...

Any help would be appreciated...

cape town
Level Contributor
250 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: School group in Cape Town: I need some advices...

Hi there

So glad you are coming to our beautiful city.

Camps Bay is a busy suburb of Cape Town and is not in the least isolated at any time of year. Renting a villa is a very good idea because then you can keep a good control of your food budget. You can have breakfast at home, make packed lunches and cook at homein the evenings. Our supermarkets offer excellent quality and variety and prices are very reasonable.

The Atlantic Seaboard would be ideal if it fits your budget and is certainly very safe. You need to find a 6 bedroom house where you can share two to a room

Ideally you should hire a car or mini bus - driving is very easy here.

A taxi from Camps Bay to the Waterfront is about 15 minutes and you can call and book a cab - there are many reputable companies around.

Our son was at the Waterfront Theatre School for several years, and I think it is fantastic that your girls have the opportunity to travl

You are more than welcome to ask me more questions here - I check in an out of this forum, or you could contact me on my email address maeriloc@webmail.co.za

good luck with your planning

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,416 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: School group in Cape Town: I need some advices...

Camps Bay has a 'strip' of businesses and cafes and one not-so-super supermarket where you could get supplies for snacks and light meals, breakfasts, etc. These are down along the main road. If you stay there, try to be as close to the bottom of the hill as possible. If you look closely at a map of Camps Bay, you will see that the street pattern sort of zig-zags up the hill. If you will be walking back and forth, this can add some time to your trips. And weather can be so unpredictable in July, that you could find that to be a problem, too. I think De Waterkant might be a better choice. And don't be timid about asking for a deal on rates no matter where you end up.

Edited: 7:08 am, March 24, 2012
Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,962 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: School group in Cape Town: I need some advices...

Hi Swanlida

I would also suggets to get a place close to the Waterfront which will be in walking distance for everybody. A place close by in Green Point, will be, Dale Court Guest House, www.dalecourt.co.za . They will be able to assist with your needs, including really good sleeping arrangements and breakfast.

Then i would suggest you get a vehicle that will be big enough for the group of ten people in total. Vehicles that are used in Cape Town is Toyota Quantum's including trailers for the luggage. They are airconditioned vehicles and are fitted with individual seat belts for everyone.

Best Regards

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
5,978 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: School group in Cape Town: I need some advices...

Well, would you say Istanbul is safe for students. In Istanbul lots of the men whistle at girls and I personally am not that crazy about walking around Istanbul on my own. In fact I would be more scared than walking around Cape Town. Camps Bay is VERY SAFE and VERY NICE to stay. I much prefer it to De Waterkant. The Waterfront is a very expensive place to eat at and i dont think that students can afford the prices they charge at the waterfront. In winter a LOT of the places have winter specials but NOT at the Waterfront. i.e. 2 meals for the price of 1. In Camps Bay though you just need to check - you might have to split the tables up as some of the restaurants dont allow 2 for the price of 1 for 10 people so maybe 2 x tables of 4 and 1 of 2 people to make up the 10 would be fine. For instance the Bayside has winter 2 for 1 specials in Camps Bay and so does Tuscany Beach but theyre almost double the price of the Bayside. Its safe, however, DONT let the girls walk around AT NIGHT ALONE wherever you decide to stay.

Turkey
Level Contributor
293 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: School group in Cape Town: I need some advices...

And what about Bantry Bay??? It is closer to the city and I found a beautiful villa there that I liked very much as it has also city views with lights in plus to the open ocean view of Cmaps Bay villas, but I read here in forums that Camps Bay is a better option. After returning home from dinner etc, we don't need to go out again as we are a large group with students, but what is important to us is to have a safe return home from city center. What do you think of Bantry Bay vs. Camps Bay? What do you think of the location of this house I put below in terms of transportation, safety, being close to center etc:

anneporter.co.za/mapping1/…

ANd in Camps Bay, the places I found a groupped in 2 location:

1. Close to Camps Bay resort

2. AT Glen Beach, at the beginning of Strathmore road

Which one is a better location do you think? Which is closer to the Camps Bay promenade and crowded places with restaurants, cafes etc...

Any comment would be great...

Thanks...

cape town
Level Contributor
250 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: School group in Cape Town: I need some advices...

Hi there

I know this area very well. This house will be quite high up onthe mountain and walking all the way along De Wet road for instance would be a long walk after dinner

Do you plan to have transport -you really do need it.

Have a look at this restaurant web site:

www.eatout.co.za

you can see where all the restaurants are, and where all the great winter specials are - you will also see that you really do need a mini bus to get around. Driving is very easy here.

Bantry Bay and Fresnaye are well protected weather wise. Camps Bay will allow for more walking around as will de Waterkant.

If you are looking for a big house in the Bantry Bay/ Fresnaye area, friends of ours from America stayed at www.hamiltonhousecapetown.co.za

It's a stunning 6 bedroom house, but I don't know if its available or in your budget

Camps Bay and Glen Beach are very close to each other. Camps Bay also runs right up the mountain so try to get somewhere lower down if you want to walk to and from the house

good luck

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
5,978 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: School group in Cape Town: I need some advices...

Are you coming this July which is now or next July,. If its still this month youre cutting it very fine to find accommodation. Bantry Bay is an excellent area to stay in , in fact its more sought after as a residential area for living in than Camps Bay. The area you have on the map as Cape Town cape town says is very far up the hill and you certainly cannot walk anywhere. Also I am not so sure that owners would rent out a house for a few days to so many people. Normally houses dont accommodate 10 people, guesthouses yes. Also what is your budget? There is not much difference between the areas of Camps Bay and Bantry Bay in distance. They are 5 minutes apart by car. However, its winter, so you will not be able to walk ANYWHERE at night, whatever area youre in as its very cold and wet. If you go by taxi you will need at least 2 taxis maybe even three so that in itself can cost quite a bit. Perhaps youre not so keen on driving . If you did drive you would need to hire a large van with so many people. Of course life continues in Camps Bay during winter. It is a residential area consisting of many beautiful homes. It is not just a "tourist area". During the summer it is very vibey as there is a beautiful beach there. The Waterfront is very expensive and so are most of the restaurants although there are quite a few there that you can find elsewhere too that are reasonably priced and great for the young girls such as the "Spurs" mainly hamburgers, Ocean Basket reasonably priced fish, Mc Donalds for burgers again although the Spurs burgers are better. Most of the other restaurants are expensive. As I mentioned earlier there are winter specials at restaurants in Camps Bay, not the waterfront, but other areas as well. I would definitely NOT choose the centre of Cape Town for your stay. I wouldnt call the area safe at night in winter. Choose anywhere between Camps Bay and De Waterkant and those areas would include Bantry Bay, Sea Point, Three Anchor Bay, Green Point, Mouille Point and De Waterkant all safe but again not to walk around at night even in a group in the winter. I wouldnt suggest it. In Sea Point there are lots of reasonably pricesd restaurants to eat at too and you dont have to worry about it if breakfasts are not included because ther are several places that will give you a breakfast for R20.00 p.p. $2.50

Turkey
Level Contributor
293 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: School group in Cape Town: I need some advices...

Thank for all your helps.

What do you think of this location? anneporter.co.za/mapping1/…

CapeTownCapeTown, by telling that Camps Bay is high up, is it this kind of location you meant?

So being at Glen Beach, at the beginning of Strathmore Road (approx. where it connects with Victoria: (anneporter.co.za/mapping1/…) is it better????

Any idea???

cape town
Level Contributor
250 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: School group in Cape Town: I need some advices...

Hi

I looked at both links and both are fine, just choose which house you prefer.

Camps Bay is built on the slopes of the twelve apostle mountains. Obviously its flat at the beach and gently climbs upwards, but both of these spots are not high up

have fun, bring lots of layers, its cold at the moment

CTCT