We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Cape Town/Garden Route

London England
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in Cape Town/Garden Route

I am arriving in cape Town 28/3/05 and staying for 3 nights.

I was going to stay in Camps Bay as it looks the best suited for everywhere in Cape Town - does anyone disagree?

Also I will be hiring a car and travelling the Garden Route anyone got tips on where to hire from and what are the best places to see/stay on the route.

Hope you can help.

Stavanger, Norway
Level Contributor
4,145 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Cape Town/Garden Route

Hi

I can't really give you that much detailed information. But I have been to Cape Town three times with my wife and it is a wonderful city. We also rented a car a few years back and drove along the Garden Route and it was beautiful. But I think we did it in like 4 days and that was too fast...it would have been great to spend some more time in the little towns along the route. I have posted some information in trip reports with pictures on my homepage http://gardkarlsen.com. Maybe you can find some useful information there :-)

Regards

Gard

London
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Cape Town/Garden Route

Camps bay is ok, but if you want low cost, decen go to Formula One hotel on the foreshore which is absolutely central. The Holiday Inn in Woodstock has a great view and that would be the next step up in price, then the hotels at the waqterfront are up another step. I would chose the Table Bay, or the Cape Grace Hotel at the waterfront

Cornwall, England
Level Contributor
1 post
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Cape Town/Garden Route

Just returned from Cape Town and now posted my review of Rhondas Manor Guest House which is central to Cape Town and Camps Bay but less windy!!. Hope it helps.

Also found Europcar very professional with good selection of new cars.

sunderland, england
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in Cape Town/Garden Route

Hi,

I enjoyed a week in and around Cape Town in May 2004.

We took a trip out the Garden Route - we didn't have a lot of time but intend to go back. One place I would suggest you do not miss is Storms River Mouth within the Tsitsikamma National Park.

Another thing if you have time and feel like pampering yourself is to partake of afternoon tea in the Mount Nelson Hotel. It is an absolute bargain at less than ��10 per person and the only limit on what one eats is ones own appetite - there is great choice.

Try to assess the weather in Cape Town and take advantage of the best and clearest opportunity to go up Table Mountain.

If you take a journey out towards Cape Point and visit the penguin colony at Boulders Beach, you can see them for 'free' by heading to the right of the car park as opposed to paying around 10 Rand or more per person by heading left to the 'official' colony.

Hope all this helps and that you have as memorable and enjoyable a trip as I did.

East Bay, California
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in Cape Town/Garden Route

In a sense I was glad that I didn't stay there because it feels somewhat removed from the city. If you look on a map, and then find a picture of the city proper, you'll see that several smaller hills as well as Table Mountain sharply isolate several parts of the city.

So if you're a beach person, and want more of the beach experience, it's a spectacular setting. However the water is truly frigid, even in the dead of summer. I was really hoping that somehow, all those guidebooks were just plain wrong.

But they weren't! Nobody was in the water, except for brief periods of wading in it!

Liverpool
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in Cape Town/Garden Route

You have to go to Cinsta if you've got time, its so beautiful!

Theres a backpackers hostel there called Buchaneers, which is extremely reasonably priced and they do an excellent Xhosa meal. Have fun!

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay in Cape Town/Garden Route

WHOOP WHOOP

Bucaneers Hostel is awesome. I stayed there when I was backpacking around south africa. It has beautiful, little huts set in the woods with hammocks and barbecues (brais as they say in SA). The views over the lagoon and beach are amazing and they have a lovely big shabby dog to play with.

We just played beach cricket all day long. This place is amazing and I would recommend it highly