We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best private driver tour guide?

New York City, New...
11 posts
Save Topic
Best private driver tour guide?

I will be in South Africa next month on my honeymoon.

I was hoping to get recommendations for a private driver to do some tours.

We will need a full day tour of the Cape Peninsula (Cape Point, Chapman's Peak, Kirstenbosch) and also a half day tour of Table Mountain, and maybe some other areas like V&A, etc. We will also need a full day wine tour in Franschhoek.

These forums have recommended John Farthing at Kestrel Services. Any others? Also, anyone specifically for the Winelands?

Thanks so much!

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,334 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Best private driver tour guide?

did you put ".com" at the end of the email address?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
333 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Best private driver tour guide?

I just spent 4 days with a fabulous tour guide. Brian Aldridge of Camissa Cape Tours.

www. capetowntours.com brian@capetowntours.com

+27 (0)828017721.

Brian was in an unrelated business for 37 years in the Cape Town area . He was born in South Africa and has a true love for everything about his country.

His knowledge is so extraordinary on such a vast number of subjects that I was constantly amazed.

He loves the plants, animals, people and has an in depth knowledge of all of them. I am fairly sure Brian does this out of a love for his country rather then a way to make money. Yes he has to get paid for his time and car and petrol etc. But his rates are quite reasonable and he is willing to put together any type of package to suit your needs.

You should listen to his recommendations because he will not waste your time or tell you things that some other tour guides might.

As an example many Tour Guides including one on my first trip tell visitors that the Indian and Atlantic Oceans come together at the Cape of Good Hope. This is totally false and the kind of mis-information you will never get from Brian.

I have had guides all over the world and Brian is the best. He has many personal stories that make what you see come alive and if you are lucky enough to be able to secure his services , your trip will be made.

Belleair, Florida
Level Contributor
30 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Best private driver tour guide?

My friend and I were just in Cape Town in May. We were fortunate to be able to make arrangements with John Farthing (jonf@telkomsa.net) to be our driver/tour guide for 4 days. John, was not only a great driver he was a really great tour guide, as well. John has lived in the Cape Town area for many years, as well as other parts of Africa, and he's extremely knowledgable about this region and is passionate about the people and the country. He's very articulate, very personable, has a great sense of humor and has a lot of patience. I say " patience", because he had to contend with us two American gals for the entire time!

My friend and I both agree that Cape Town and the surrounding areas truly surpassed our expectations but even more so because of John. Have a great visit!

34. Re: Best private driver tour guide?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:35 am, June 05, 2013
Ontario,Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Best private driver tour guide?

I could thoroughly recommend Chris Hannival. He picked us up at the airport and he also took us on a day long Cape Point drive.He is very reliable, drives a good car and is full of local knowledge. When we came to

places of interest he pointed out it was our day so just take our time. His e address is cjhannival@gmail .com He's a wonderful guide and driver whom we can thoroughly recommend.

Edited: 7:33 pm, June 08, 2013
36. Re: Best private driver tour guide?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 10, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Cape Town Central