We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cape Town vs. Nairobi

Niagara Falls...
3 posts
Save Topic
Cape Town vs. Nairobi

Hello, I am taking a tour in Feb 2012. I can either travel from Cape Town up to Nairobi or the other way around. I want to spend a week in one of these cities after the tour to see the sites. Which city has more to offer?

Weybridge
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cape Town vs. Nairobi

Cape Town without a shadow of doubt !!!

You have the Winelands, Cape Point and the Cape Peninsula, Table Mountain, Kirstenbosch Gardens, a beautiful Waterfront area ... I could go on for hours !!

Tracey, Owner / Director, Travel Butlers

Belfast
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cape Town vs. Nairobi

Whilst not disagreeing with Travelbutlers it is perhaps worth considering what exactly this query actually asks - City to City then CT does indeed win hands down on the basis of scenery, culture, restaurants (food and drink generally) and nightlife. But if you are more interested in using your visit to each of these cities as a gateway to the country then Nairobi is not so easily discounted. Whilst there is a lot of wonderful scenery around the Cape, you don't have to go far out of Nairobi to see what Kenya can offer - the one hour drive via Lake Naivasha up towards Nakuru and the Great Rift Valley is wonderfully scenic, but then so is Chapmans Peak or the Winelands

Sydney,Australia
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Cape Town vs. Nairobi

Cape Town by many a mile. Probably the most fascinating city in the world and by far the most ethnically diverse. Incredible scenery, great hotels and food, wonderful vineyards. Terrific people. No other coastal city has so much to offer.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
269 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cape Town vs. Nairobi

Nairobi itself doesn't have much to see (can be done in a day), whereas I've heard stellar reviews of Cape Town. However if you're up for some exploring then don't discount Nairobi as you can then see another, very different country. BT mentioned some great places, but if you're in Nairobi in early August to mid October, you can fly 20 minutes (or drive 5 hours) to the Masai Mara and see the Great Migration, the largest movement of land animals on earth with over a million wildebeest plus hundreds of thousands of zebra, gazelle, etc. -- it covers the hills as far as the eye can see. Truly one of the great spectacles of nature.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
269 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cape Town vs. Nairobi

Oops, just saw you're going in February! If you really wanted, from Nairobi you can swing by Amboselli to see the the beautiful views of elephants silhouetted against Mt Kilimanjaro, before crossing the border into Tanzania and flying (or driving) to the Ndutu area of the Serengeti since that's where the Migration is at that time. Many say February is the best time to be in the Serengeti as that's when half a million baby wildebeest are born in a three week period, and all the attendant predators come in for the feast. Add a day in Ngorongoro Crater for many microcosms in a tiny area, before traveling back to Arusha and then Nairobi. However this is a bit of traveling and may not be worth it.

Of course if you're going on safari in South Africa that may be too much safari in one trip, in which case Cape Town it is :)

Edited: 6:06 pm, September 29, 2011
nyc
Level Contributor
14,536 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cape Town vs. Nairobi

A 'tour' between NBO and CPT or vice versa, but where are you visiting in each Kenya and South Africa and places in-between?

However, if it's a 'city' and its immediate surrounding areas that would be of interest, even though I'm generally an East African gal, it's Capetown hands down. It's a 'keeper' of a city and bsolutely beautiful.

1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Cape Town vs. Nairobi

Yeah, am Nairobian born N bred, though stayed in CapeTown briefly for 6 months around the Sttellenbosch area. Its unfair to compare Cape Town - a coastal city to a busy bustlin disoriented hub of Nairobi, If U have time in Kenya U could visit the coastal city of Mombasa, though the contrast is so huge, like travelling in different countries; this is what makes Kenya unique. Though CPT still remains the favorite desstination to put up my holiday home...

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
9 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cape Town vs. Nairobi

Stay in Cape Town after coming down from Nairobi.

9. Re: Cape Town vs. Nairobi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:15 am, August 22, 2013