We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

International license necessary?

TN
Level Contributor
70 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
International license necessary?

We will be visiting Capetown for a couple of weeks and have read conflicting reports. Do we need an international license or will our State issued license from USA be fine?

BC, Canada
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: International license necessary?

As far as I know - you will need an International license, in conjunction with your US license, to drive legally in SA.

london
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: International license necessary?

I don't know for sure but do know that a UK licence is valid in SA. I will try find out for you in the next couple of days.

london
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: International license necessary?

Have copied this off www.selftours.co.za - think this answers your question.

SOUTH AFRICA DRIVERS LICENSE INFORMATION FOR CAR RENTAL SOUTH AFRICA

Drivers must have a valid driving license, which displays his/her photograph upon it, or carry your passport with you as positive identification to verify you as the legal holder of the drivers license. Your license must be printed in English so a local traffic officer can establish which class of vehicle you are qualified to drive. If not, either an International license should be purchased before arrival, or an affidavit/letter, printed in English and stamped and signed by a commissioner of oaths stating the class of vehicle you are permitted to drive. The onus is on the driver to prove that he or she is qualified to drive such a vehicle.

You MUST carry your driving license on your person at all times while driving in South Africa.

Enjoy your trip.

TN
Level Contributor
70 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: International license necessary?

Thank you! You found exactly what I needed to know! I love this place!

Sligo, Ireland
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: International license necessary?

Carry BOTH your European/US/Canadian License and the International Driving Permit which takes you 5 minutes to get from your local AA office after presenting your Valid License(costs abt 5 Euro).

The international permit is more readily recognisable by the ubiquitous trafic cops, and can be seized if to commit a serious traffic offence..... but you have back-up, your Country's Driving license. You get?

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,237 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: International license necessary?

I don't think traffic cops will go around seizing drivers licenses.

UK
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: International license necessary?

I was wondering the same, as we go next month.

I'm sure I saw on a South African governmental website that the Intl. licence is required, and that you may find it hard to rent a car without.

Contrarily, on many tourism websites it's stated that as long as the licence is in the English language with a stamped photo it's OK.

Perhaps the key is to ask the car hire company when booking the car?

On that note... Any tips on whether cheaper to use one of the big multinationals there in SA, or a website like holiday autos?