We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel in Western and Eastern Cape

Prestwick, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Travel in Western and Eastern Cape

we are planning our first trip to SA in November - we plan to stay at airport on arrival - day 1 travel airport to Knysna (stay 3 nights) Knysna to Addo (stay 3 nights) back to Tsitsikammma(stay 1 night) then on to Stellenbosch (stay 3 nights) then back to Cape Town for 4 nights - is this the best options to see the area and is the distance from Airport to Knysna too far for first day?

thanks

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
229 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel in Western and Eastern Cape

What airport are you flying into? If George, it's not too far from Knysna and I'd definitely drive there straight from the airport. If it's Cape Town or Port Elizabeth, it's definitely doable, depending what time you arrive and your energy level. About a 5-6 hour drive. If it was me, I'd stay overnight if flying into either of the latter two, especially after a long flight from the UK.

South Africa
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel in Western and Eastern Cape

The airport is only half an hour from the city centre, so I would definitely recommend that you stay in Cape Town itself, and not at the airport. There are no restaurants at the airport, and just a budget hotel.

Stay at Whale Cottage Camps Bay in Camps Bay in Cape Town - they have a super guest house.

It will take you 5 hours from Cape Town to Knysna. The rest of your plannend trip is do-able. I would suggest that you stay in Franschhoek instead of Stellenbosch in the winelands, and there is a delightfil country-style Whale Cottage there as well.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,251 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel in Western and Eastern Cape

It would be better if you flew from Cape Town to PE and had your first night in Port Elizabeth, then Addo, Knysna etc.

Get answers to your questions about Cape Town Central