We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leaving in 3 Days!

Denver, CO
6 posts
Save Topic
Leaving in 3 Days!

My husband and I are leaving in 3 days for CT and still have a couple of questions we havent been able to get a definitive answer for.

1. We don't know what kind of money is best to take with us - traveller;s cheques or us dollars. Which one is the most easily converted? We plan to use our credit card mostly but know we'll need cash for some things.

2. Can I buy a converter for electricity in CT or should I try to find one here?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated at this late date!

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
462 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Leaving in 3 Days!

Certainly do not bring too much cash or travellers cheques. Credit cards are accepted almost everywhere and I would go as far as to say that stores would prefer them to travellers cheques, particularly foreign denominations.

If you are in the Waterfront I am sure that there are one or two stores that sell the electrical plug adaptors, but as Dieseldirk says, try to get them before you leave. You dont want to waste valuable touring time looking for plug adaptors if you can help it.

Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
12,867 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Leaving in 3 Days!

We were in SA earlier this week. We changed about ZAR500 in the UK, in case we needed any money in the airport and just got all the cash we needed when we needed it, using Credit Cards in ATMs. I really wouldn't bother trying to change either cash or travellers cheques - it just takes too long. ATMs take 30 seconds.

As for the electrical converter, both our guide books told us that they're only available in SA, so we bought one in Simon's Town for a few dollars. You can probably easily pick one up in the airport.

Have a good time.

Level Contributor
87 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Leaving in 3 Days!

SA adaptors - I bought one through travelwithcare.com for £4.99. Maybe too late for you now but I've also been told the same adaptor is available at the chemists at Heathrow Terminal 1. We're leaving at the weekend too so maybe see you checking out the adaptors at Heathrow !