We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 night between Knysna & Fransohhoek - any suggestions?

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
38 posts
11 reviews
1 night between Knysna & Fransohhoek - any suggestions?

Hi

Trying to finalise the itinerary for our trip in Jan 2010 and trying to decide on the best place to stay for one night after leaving Knysna on the way to Franschhoek - does anyone have any suggestions?

Any thoughts much appreciated

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
5,528 posts
623 reviews
1. Re: 1 night between Knysna & Fransohhoek - any suggestions?

How about driving back via the R62 and stopping at either Barrydale or Montagu?

Plenty of B and Bs along the R62

Have a look at www.route62.co.za

Lisa

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,087 posts
185 reviews
2. Re: 1 night between Knysna & Fransohhoek - any suggestions?

Montagu is brilliant, like going back 50 years. If you are there on a Wednesday or Saturday you can take the tractor ride to the top of the Langerburg (sp) mountains. No it might sound corny but it's great. We always stay at &

7 Church Street B&B. Dine at the 4 Oaks, one of South Africa's finest.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
77 posts
35 reviews
3. Re: 1 night between Knysna & Fransohhoek - any suggestions?

I'll give another vote for Montagu. We stayed at Malherbe Guest House, which was excellent, and had dinner at Jessica's. A very charming town and a nice overnight stop.

malaysia
Level Contributor
167 posts
107 reviews
4. Re: 1 night between Knysna & Fransohhoek - any suggestions?

Another vote for Montagu.We stayed at Montagu Vines, and enjoyed it very much. But the drive from Knysna via the R62 should be punctuated with at least a stop at Ronnies sex shop to freshen up the senses.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,383 posts
5. Re: 1 night between Knysna & Fransohhoek - any suggestions?

Montagu is a lovely small town with lots of buildings from the late 18th early 19th cents. Certainly worth a stroll round if you are staying or not. An excellent place to stay is 3km on the Barrydale side at one of my favourite country houses, Les Hauts de Montagu. As the name suggests it is owned by a French Chef/Patron and the food is excellent.

leshautsdemontagu.co.za/pages/…home.html

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
611 posts
19 reviews
6. Re: 1 night between Knysna & Fransohhoek - any suggestions?

Wherever you stay, I suggest driving from Knysna to George, then over to Oudtshoorn, possibly for lunch (try www.bellocibo.co.za) and then onwards. Oudtshoorn is 1.5hrs from Knysna. Montagu is a further 3 hours. Barrydale is a little more towards half way, but not nearly as nice as Montagu. Alternatively, Oudtshoorn is always popular as there is just so much to see and do there, so you can easily arrive in Oudtshoorn just before lunch, take in the caves, wildlife ranch or ostrich farm in afternoon, and then a leisurely drive to Franschoek the next day.

England
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
7. Re: 1 night between Knysna & Fransohhoek - any suggestions?

Just been reading a posting you left a while ago & wondered if you or anyone else can tell me if what I'm thinking is a good plan!? Leaving Knysna & heading up onto route 62 to Oudtshoorn - how long a drive is that first of all? Then on to Barrydale.

The idea is to get somewhere near Sanbona so the following morning we don't have too long a drive to get there. Does this sound like the best use of a day? I'm sure its a beautiful drive but will we find things that will interest our 14 yr old son along the way???

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
38 posts
11 reviews
8. Re: 1 night between Knysna & Fransohhoek - any suggestions?

Hi

Would prob take 2-3 hours to drive - we didn't do this route on our recent holiday but did a couple of years ago so my memory isn't the best. The scenery is lovely but not much to do on way to Oudtshoorn if I recall correctly. That said Oudtshoorn is lovely and would recommend the Cango wildlife park - your son would love it - you can dive with crocs (not sure of age limit) and get a chance to interact with tiger and cheetah cubs, it was amazing.

Not sure where Sanbona is so can't add any more.

You'll have a great time as SA is an amazing country!

9. Re: 1 night between Knysna & Fransohhoek - any suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, August 17, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Cape Town Central