We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camps Bay ot Cape Town

Dublin
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Camps Bay ot Cape Town

Hi all, I'm heading to CT for my honeymoon around Dec 30th and I'm trying to decide between staying in CT proper or Camps Bay. I guess the downside if the Camps Bay isn't near the Waterfront but it seems a little less corporate there

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Cape Town
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camps Bay ot Cape Town

Camps Bay has views of the ocean and it much more scenic and yes, less corporate. Cape Town proper will have a wider choice of restaurants, shopping, nightlife. If you have access to transportation, go for Camps Bay.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
462 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Camps Bay ot Cape Town

I agree with the previous posting. However, try to find accommodation close to the beachfront as that is where all the restaurants are situated. Further back is mainly residential and walking is a problem as Camps Bay is mostly built on a fairly steep hill.

TN
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camps Bay ot Cape Town

My fiance and I will be visiting Cape Town from November 25-December 3, and we were having this exact same debate. I wanted to be in a more scenic, relaxed setting and he wanted to be in a more exciting, commercialized area. SO, we're splitting the difference and staying 4 nights in a suite at the AtlanticView villa in Camps Bay and 4 nights at the Cape Grace! This might be an option for you as well. Have a great trip!

~Allison

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
462 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Camps Bay ot Cape Town

The Cape Grace is one of our leading hotels - you should not be disappointed. Bill Clinton and Michael Jackson have stayed there.

Dublin
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Camps Bay ot Cape Town

Great, thanks for the responses. How easy/difficult is it to get into CT from Camps Bay. Do I need to get a taxi? Secondly my budget in limited can anyone recommend a hotel that might be in that range?

Thanks everyone

Cape Town
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Camps Bay ot Cape Town

hill16 - are you considering renting a car? It really is the best way to get around in South Africa. There is almost no public transportation and taxis are expensive and rare. Dont think because its a city, its anything like Europe. Its a bit like being out in the Irish countryside....

Car is best!

Dublin
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Camps Bay ot Cape Town

Great, thak again. We were certainly going to rent a car but if we go out for dinner we'd like to have a few drinks and I don't like driving while under the influence.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Camps Bay ot Cape Town

Even if you dont go out in Cape Town city, there are lots of very good restaurants in each of the "suburbs" of Cape Town like Camps Bay, Houtbay, Simonstown etc. You could stay in a B&B, Hotel or guesthouse in any of these areas and have a selection of restaurants and bars. They dont have nightclubs though, if thats what you are interested in.

My suggestion would be to make sure that your hotel is within safe walking distance of your hotel (like 50something suggested in Camps Bay) or to rather stay in Cape Town near the waterfront and get taxis.

9. Re: Camps Bay ot Cape Town

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:24 pm, October 22, 2005
Palo Alto, CA
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Camps Bay ot Cape Town

We just stayed at Atlanticview in Camps Bay. I don't reccommend staying in the Rock Room. There is ZERO privacy - anyone at the pool can see directly into your room.

With that said, the Penthouse is very spacious. Sundowners are quite nice.

However, everything you touch in the guest house is terribly overpriced. Bottled water, wireless internet, you name it.

They don't like you to use a normal taxi. We were given dirty looks when we requested to have a normal taxi called for us. They want the guests to use the luxury car service, which is about 3x taxi costs.

In addition, the hostess is not South African and is not familiar with the area.