We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cycle Touring Cape Town

Vancouver, Canada
1 post
Save Topic
Cycle Touring Cape Town

My girlfriend and I have an upcoming trip to Cape Town where we plan to cycle tour the following itinerary; CBD, Simonstown, Cape Point, Gordons Bay, Stellenbosch, Paarl, Durbanville, CBD.

We have toured many countries on bike before so we know the cycling side of the trip. What we dont know is who to believe on the state of Cape Town roads and general safety. We have read the rather appalling statistics on road fatalities in South Africa, but dont know if they apply to Cape Town and the adjoining areas.

All information will be graciously accepted, especially from fellow cyclists.

Thanks.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cycle Touring Cape Town

Hi. Im not a cyclist myself, but I have lots of friends that are, and South Africa isnt really any different from any other country when it comes to cycling. In general we have quite wide roads so there is normally place to cycle on the side. Cape Town is popular with cyclists and has a few famous races like the Argus, so there are always cyclists training on the roads.

If no cyclists reply to this post try going to these websites for more information;

www.cyclingaroundtheworld.nl/southafrica/

An excellent trip report from some Dutch guys cycling in SA

http://sa-cycling.com/

http://www.ibike.org/africaguide/south.htm

Cape Town
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cycle Touring Cape Town

Hi there,

Sorry about this late response to your enquiry.

Most roads in the main centres such as Cape Town have not been designed with cyclists in mind. They are also populated by vehicles whose drivers simply want to get from A to B as quickly as possible. They have not been trained to respect or give way to cyclists.

You're not officially allowed to cycle on motorways in Cape Town although in my opinion you'd be safer riding inside the yellow border lines.

There are roads in the southern suburbs with demarcated cycle lanes but these are generally not respected by vehicle drivers.

Yes there are wider roads and you'll find plenty with wide verges, running between centres. The fact is there would also be lots of fast traffic on those roads.

My advice would be - don't attemt to ride to Simonstown from Cape Town CBD. The direct route - Main Road is narrow, insecure and unsafe. Likewise from the CBD to any other area except Camps Bay - Hout Bay. Rather transport your bikes to where you want to be and cycle a circuit.

When the Argus Tour is run in March many access roads are closed for safety and the event is closely marshalled.

Simonstown to Cape Point is a good ride but a narrow road. Stellenbosch area is excellent - you could do the route over Helshoogte (Hells Heights) to Franschoek and back. Stellenbosch to Paarl road is very busy. Stellenbosch to Somerset West is ok.

Hope this helps.

For more local info contact Pedal Power Association http://www.pedalpower.co.za/