We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit to Robben Island

Derby
Level Contributor
91 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Visit to Robben Island

Would like to visit Robben Island . Are there any guided tours?

Cape Town Helicopters
Helicopter Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Air Tours
Baz Bus - Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Hop-On Hop-Off Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Bus Tours
City Sightseeing
City Tours, Hop-On Hop-Off Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Cape Convoy
Shark Diving, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Cape Town
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visit to Robben Island

I havent been, but seeing as nobody was answering, I checked for you. It seems there are tours, lasting 3 hours including the journey to and from the island. They depart from the Victoria and Alfred waterfront.

www.aboutcapetown.com/robben-island.htm

Kerikeri, New...
Level Contributor
6,276 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visit to Robben Island

I visisted Robben Island a few years back from CT. The ferryboat i remember went from the Vand A complex. At the time it cost about 100 rand....not sure how much now.

The little ferry trip is fun and when you get to the island, you are giveen a bus tour which was very interesting. You are then met at the prison building by an ex prisoner and given a talk on teh island and prison. You are then free to wander around and inside the prison buildings.

When I was there, many tourists seemed to prefer spending the time in the Island coffeeshop. Seemed weird to me , having travelled so far ! ( why spend all your time in a coffeeshop and not explore the buildings? )

It is a great tour and gives you a glimps of what Mandela had to endure for so many years of his life.

ireland
Level Contributor
150 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visit to Robben Island

It's all a guided tour :)

My review is here

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g312659-d311…

in the attractions section of this website

London, United...
Level Contributor
804 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visit to Robben Island

We did the Robben Island trip in August just gone. The cost is about 100 Rand per adult. The boat leaves the V & A Waterfront and takes approximately 20-25 minutes.

On arrival, we were split into 2 groups, one group did the bus tour of the island, the other the prison visit - at the end of each tour, you swap over.

The prison visit is very moving. You're taken around by an ex-prisoner and you go into the block that the 'political prisoners' spent their time, you see the cells and you must read the memoirs of prisoners, which are on the walls in some of the cells. You go into the yards and are shown the dorms and other areas of the prison.

On the tour bus you are taken around the island, with stops to have the more important parts explained to you, like the house where one prisoner was incarcerated for 7 years and the lime quarry.

Overall, for me, this trip was a highlight of our holiday in Cape Town and I would fully recommend it to everyone who goes there.

Yorkshire, UK
Level Contributor
145 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visit to Robben Island

I think Robben Island is a "must do" if you are in Cape Town. The guided tour is excellent and thought-provoking. We did it in early February and didn't have time for the cafe.

Remember to take a good sun hat and water to drink. There is virtually no shade on the island and it can get very hot in summertime.