We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to Cape Town in early June-what about a safari?

Williamsburg, VA
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Traveling to Cape Town in early June-what about a safari?

I have the chance to visit cape town in early june with my 13yr old daugher.

She is interested in a safari but I cant seem to find out where they might be in relation to cape town. How far and which one?

Also should we rent a car or get a driver as I have seen posted on a few sites?

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions for us

Cape Xtreme
Adrenaline & Extreme Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours, Safaris
Springbok Atlas Tours & Safaris
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, City Tours, Private Tours, Safaris
Crafted African Travel
City Tours, Private Tours, Safaris, Day Trips
London, United...
Level Contributor
981 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling to Cape Town in early June-what about a safari?

The good Safari parks such as the Kruger National are much further north and are not really practical for a day trip from Cape Town, When we were in Cape Town recently we used these people http://www.hyltonross.co.za and found their tours excellent, we took their 'Cape Point DAY tour' it does include a nature park where you will see several wild animals but not lions or Elephants I'm afraid. The tour also includes a visit to a penguin colony.

You might also like to look at this website http://www.southafrica.net/

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
105 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling to Cape Town in early June-what about a safari?

Hi,

There are some safaris closer to Cape Town - they are more huge farm lands converted to game reserves but if you are not thinking about going far from Capetown, these are probably your options. Aquila Game reserve which is 2 hours drive from CT. Garden Route Game Reserve, which is 4 hours away. There is also one more game reserve, name of which I can;t quite remember but it's also 2hours+ away from CT. These are privately owned so if you rent a car, it would be for you to get from Capetown to the game reserves. Within the game reserves themselves, you may have to take their guided drives.

The best is of course Kruger National Park which you would have to fly to - a 2.5 hour flight away. I have done a few game reserves in my trips to SA but nothing is quite as spectacular as Kruger National Park.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa