We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

May 1 Labor Day closings

Miami
Level Contributor
229 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
May 1 Labor Day closings

What can I expect to be open on May 1 - Labor Day? I saw a posting that Robben Island will be closed on that day. What else will be closed?

I am flying into Cape Town late on April 30 and I had hoped to be able to go to the supermarket to buy groceries on May 1 ... will the supermarkets be open?

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,178 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: May 1 Labor Day closings

Nearly all supermarkets and food shops will be open. Some shops in non-tourist areas will be closed on May 1st. Most tourist facilities will be open incl the Table Mountain cablecar. Robben Island has a special link to May 1st (Workers day) so this is the only day of the year that it closes. Banks will be closed but all ATMs operating so there should be no problems in getting cash.

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
6,104 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: May 1 Labor Day closings

Everything will be open at the waterfront and just by the by its not called "Labor " Day here - i think its "workers day" or just a normal public holiday. . Waterfront shops have to be open 7 days a week so you will get all the groceries you want there - just depending of course where you are staying - if youre close enough to the waterfront.-

3. Re: May 1 Labor Day closings

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 pm, August 10, 2009